Thursday, July 27, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

What do I eat? ((Gulp)) Maybe I shouldn't say...


Since the news article the local television station did, I have had a number of questions asked of me. One of the things I have been most asked has been, "What do you eat on a regular basis?" I usually eat vegan, but I do add fish and eggs often. I am not a sold out vegan as one of my closest friends keeps encouraging. I will always love the clean eating side of life, but I so love my eggs. 

Since reaching my main goal weight, I am eating proteins and raw to steamed vegetables focusing on the greens then adding fresh fruit low in sugar. However, the focal eating to lose weight or maintain is a bit more than someone building muscle, which I am to fill up and tighten skin. Three rules I have learned to losing weight are: eat more to lose weight, eat the right foods in balance portions, and have a workout routine. 

I hear people giving up one item or the other, carbs, sugars, etc. I don't like that idea because everything has it's place on your plate. They benefit in someway. With that said, I am just as guilty so I can't judge. I will skip the bread on a burger or sandwich and go for the lettuce bun. I won't intake any fat that is beyond a 0.5 on the ingredients and if it has fat at all, I will weight my options, "Is this really worth it?" I will eat sugar in a food item before I will eat fat. Just saying...

I don't do oil regardless what society or reports say that it is good for me. They can write on. I won't eat something because it has "good fat" either. My thighs disagree as do the scales that any fat is good for my heart, body and soul, sorry people that go to the trouble of writing these things! I will save my "fat" money for coffee thank you very much!

Also, workout before you eat something with calories, fat, carbs, sugar, whatever...then you will think to yourself, "Now, is it worth my workout time and calories burned?" Don't deprive yourself of something you really want. Sometimes you mind craves something your body really doesn't need. Sin is sin and our body is the temple of God...we will stand before Him and give an account for every BLT, bite, lick and taste, good-bad-ugly...along with every social media post we offer...another blog post for another day lol.

So, here is a slip from my food journal, 
which, yes, I keep every single day!

Breakfast:
1 cup old-fashion oatmeal made with fat-free milk
1 banana sliced in oatmeal
1 teaspoon raisins (I don't care much for raisins)
1 egg scrambled
1 cup of coffee, black (you can learn to like it too)

Snack:
celery sticks
carrots

Lunch:
3 ounces of lean turkey, cubed
3 cups of garden salad mixed with shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon fat-free Italian dressing (I never add much dressing to anything)
water with lemon to drink

Snack:
1 apple
2 tablespoons of soybutter

Supper:
4 ounces broiled wild salmon
1/2 cup steamed green beans
1 cup boiled turnip greens (prepared w/o seasoning)
1/2 beets, cooked
water with lemon (add lime) to drink

Snack:
1 cup of diced cantaloupe/watermelon
1 light string cheese
* I have to have a protein at bedtime or I will be up at 3am grazing lol

Seasonings for food is easier today than ever. Spray butters have no fat! Salad dressings come in a variety of flavors that are also fat-free. A rule of thumb for sauces, salad dressings, or anything to top your foods, it if you can see through it then bother to read the label. Garrett likes the fat-free ranch salad dressing, but I don't. He on the other hand doesn't like the fat-free Italian; however, he has no idea that I use the FFI on green beans. 

Rarely can I eat all my food, so suppers sometimes divided in half for lunch the following day. When I eat out, I ask for a to-go box to but my meal in half before I start eating so that I cut the calories and have the correct portion sizes. There are restaurants that will do this before they bring the meal out to the table. Also, ask the servers to not bring bread to the table and if salad is a staple at that location, ask for dressing on the side or a fat-free option with no bread toppings or added cheese. 

Challenge yourself to eat vegetables as close to raw as possible and without seasoning for thirty-days. You will be amazed at the flavors you will discover. With my family, it became fun to add a new vegetable every week. We food so many ways to enjoy leek, funnel, many types of lettuce and cabbage. I had no idea there were so many types of peppers and rooted vegetables. Spaghetti squash became our new pasta, no calories whatsoever. 

Maybe these tips will help in some way to get you going. I have so many things to share and recipes that I am bursting to tell you. As time goes by, I will get them all out. I love this new lifestyle and you are making your first steps in getting there. Imagine, one month from now, six-months, one-year, five-years...for me it's been almost six-years! SIX-YEARS of making my decision to change my life...three-years of maintaining my weight...you can do this too, just dump the excuses!



0 comments:

Post a Comment