Saturday, July 15, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Gluten-Free Fat-Free Tomato Pie Recipe! Oh so good!

#RitaHutchesonCobbs Tomato Pie Recipe
 from the #KitchenWithAHouseAttached

Oh sweet goodness! I am being trained by one of the absolutely, hands down, very best group fitness instructors ever...Ms Robin at the Hartselle Gym. Each week, she is amazing because she can count, instruct, lead and share a recipe! Week before last, it was a corn salad, this past week it was a tomato pie, both leaving my mouth watering and my mind craving. I had to try this one too. However, I had to tweak it a bit.


My neighbors, brought me fresh tomatoes, one brought green tomatoes so 
I baked "fried" Cajun tomatoes and the ripe red tomatoes, I made tomato pies. 


This has to be the most simple recipe ever.
The biggest thing is getting the cheeses and peeling the tomatoes.
With the original recipe, you can purchase pre-made pie crusts,
but I made my own crusts (stop rolling your eyes! lol)


Had to post a close up of the delicious ripe red sweet tomatoes...
yup, all one complete without commas sentence lol...
mouthwatering! 


Two pies ready for the oven! 
One pie will be for home, but the other is to share with my neighbors.
Now for the recipe I created and then I will post the ingredients for the original recipe...

Tomato Pie Filling  Recipe 
Gluten-free and Fat-free

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon cilantro
black pepper
1/2 cup green onion, chopped finely
2 cups fat-free shredded cheese (Kraft melts)
1 cup fat-free sour cream 
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Mix

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Once you have the pie crust in the 9 inch pie plate, lay the tomato slices around the bottom of the pie crust. Then sprinkle on top of the tomatoes the Italian seasoning, cilantro, and black pepper. In a bowl mix the remaining ingredients and spread evenly over the top of the tomatoes. I think next time I will use 2 cups of fat-free sour cream for more fluff on top...just thinking. I loved the seasoning popping through this pie. Crumbled turkey bacon would be great in on top of the tomatoes too. Bake at 350 degrees until top is lightly brown and crust is done, approx. 30 minutes.

Pie Crust Recipe
Gluten-free and Fat-free

1 1/2 cups 1-to-1 baking flour
1/2 sea salt, optional
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons fat-free margarine 
1 tablespoon cold water
1/8 teaspoon real vanilla

Mix the ingredients together. The dough will be a tiny bit sticky. If not, add a bit of flour. If it is too wet, add a bit of flour. Then pour it on wax paper dusted with flour. then roll out the dough thin to 10" to fit in the pie crust. Trim the excess dough off the plate.

I don't bake my pie crusts first, but my mother likes to. When baking both gluten-free and fat-free takes some playing with. I love to substitute any oils or butters with applesauce. The only time I have used fat-free margarine is here. I use fat-free spray butter, but it to me it seems better to use real butter or none at all. Apple sauce is a great replacement for oils of any kind. Then soy butter is another replacement for shortening in recipes, even here for the fat-free margarine.

This recipe is super easy with ready made crusts. However, saving the calories and fat in the filling is a rockin' awesome advantage to any dessert. Workout, take a family powerwalk to make up the difference. A friend of mine got a dog the other day to make her start walking! Imagine that. I think it will be great companionship too! Double fold. Hey, the dog might eat the pie crust dough if it's bad...((I'm kidding about that but ya know...)) Let's get moving and think about what we are eating and doing!

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment