Thursday, July 13, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Rita's Chicken Salad Recipe *UPDATED*

Rita's Chicken Salad Recipe
An all year favorite thing to enjoy...

When I made this salad last week, someone asked me for the recipe. After telling them it was on my blog, I went to find the link and post it for them. My mouth hit the table...rare, I know! The recipes were "back in the day" as Mamaw Hutty would say...OmyGosh! I have played with this chicken salad recipe and now I really like this one. The protein pops and the fat bottoms out. You can add more fruit if you like and leave off the nuts which takes away more fat and makes it allergy friendly for those coming to your meal you don't know much about. So, let's make an anytime picnic then I will share a family story at the end!

Rita's Chicken Salad Recipe

3 large chicken breasts, skinless
1 16 ounce fat-free sour cream
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Mix
1 cup green grapes, sliced in half
1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
3 Tablespoons, sunflower seeds
black pepper, cilantro, Italian seasoning - pinch of each
* I have added apple chunks and raisins to the salad as well. 

First, I cook my chicken in large batches in the crock pot. I spray my crock pot with cooking spray, layer my chicken with chicken, bbq sauce, black pepper. Then I pour a favored beer over all that. I know, crazy but oh so good! Cook for 6 hours or until chicken is done. 

Chopped chicken into small chunks or shred whichever works best for you. Then mix all the ingredients together and serve with fresh fruit. Chilled is best and will last several days in the fridge. Kids can help make this with you and helps with fine motor skills if you are a caregiver (just a thought). 

Family Story...
Living Room Picnic!

When my boys were little, one of our favorite things to do was have a living room picnic. One of the homes we lived in had almost white carpet too. Not being your tradition mother, I was creative at times with meals. This particular time, I spread a quilt on the living room floor and served a complete spaghetti dinner, red sauce, buttered up garlic bread and all BUT without utensils! Yup! I made sure their hands were clean of course, but that became one of their favorite requests all the way through their teens. When my dad lived with us in his last days, we had a meal like this but at the table just as one of my sons was off on a choir trip, it was his request. My dad tried to participate, not something my dad would have ever done, he said, "This is making a memory." Indeed. Making memories, sharing meals, passing recipes, taking a dish to a neighbor...we are making others and ourselves smiles for many days to come. Enjoy...

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment