Sunday, July 16, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings Recipe...Full of Flavor!

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings with
boiled potatoes in beer with baked "fried" green tomatoes
and fresh cut off corn
#KitchenWithAHouseAttached

Everyone knows that I love to cook! I grew up in a home that we had southern breakfasts to suppers every single day. On Sundays, we went out for lunch rarely, but most of those Sunday dinners was my mother's fried chicken or pork chops. Then when I started my own kitchen, I not only made southern meals but added pastas, cheeses, homemade desserts and lots of fun dishes with eggs, sausages and beef. One of my grandmother's of the heart, taught me how to make dumplings the old fashion way. When there was a family gathering, we hit the dumplings, fried apple pies (she made me chocolate), and tea cakes. Yup, I can make them all! However, taking a recipe that use to make or finding one now and transforming it is something I absolutely love to do now! So, here is my revised chicken and dumplings recipe...(Sorry Mamaw)...

Chicken and Potatoes Prepared...

Chicken Breasts (at least 3 for this recipe)
Barbecue Sauce
Flavored Beer

Now, don't judge me, but this is absolutely the best way to make your chicken and potatoes, other than grilling... Take boneless, skinless chicken (at least 3 chicken breasts for this recipe) place them in a crock pot sprayed with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Layer them with your favorite bbq sauce. I prepare a lot of chicken at once and use it in various of recipes during the week or freeze it. Then place your potatoes on top. Pour one flavored beer over the whole thing (don't drink it! Tooooo many calories!). Let the crock pot cook for about 6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken is thoroughly cooked. When done, cut chicken in small pieces...it is ready for the dumplings.

Dumplings Recipe

1 cup Bisquick Gluten Free Mix
1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk 
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon cilantro 
dash of black pepper

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly. 
Dough should be the consistency of biscuit dough. 

Chicken and Dumplings Recipe

3 cups fat-free vegetable broth
2 cups chicken breasts, chopped finely
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/8 teaspoon thyme 
pinch of turmeric 
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a boiler (yup, I am from the south), heat the broth, chicken, vegetables, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix buttermilk and cornstarch, whisking together smoothly, without lumps. Once the chicken broth mixture is heated, slowly stir in the milk mixture. Heat to a low boil. Gently drop the dumpling dough by rounded spoonfuls into the boiling chicken broth mixture. Reduce heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. I place a wooden spoon across the boiler, tilting the lid so it won't boil over. Thanks to my mother, this trick is awesome, plus I like to watch the dumplings cook. Serve hot! 

Turmeric is a spice that is great to help with inflammation. I try to add it to recipes as well as cinnamon. The dumplings take on a different flavor when you add both of these. When I had flair-ups with fibromyalgia, various tricks like this made a difference so I use them now to help with Mamaw Hutty's arthritis. 

Enjoy! Hugs, Rita





0 comments:

Post a Comment