Saturday, July 8, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Jewelry Found...


Setting goals, reaching dreams are better fulfilled when I set rewards for myself. That was the case when I was losing weight. I didn't look at the big picture of losing fifty-pounds or one-hundred-pounds, but instead five, ten. I remember reaching one such milestone. First, I have to explain reaching this particular milestone.

Every so often, I get stuck in my weight loss, getting fit journey. I have to seek help. Now, it's more of changing workout routines or the weight I'm using; however, losing weight gets discouraging when you hit a point you stop losing weight. This happened to me when I got to about two-hundred pounds. I realized I needed help and was talked to a friend of mine, Linda. She encouraged me to attend her Weight Watchers meeting. I went and was thrilled with the experience. I attended meetings and reached my weight goal with them of 168 pounds, becoming a life-time member through 2014. I learned so much through them as I did with losing the other two-hundred-fifty pounds on my own as well losing down to 142 pounds. 


One day, I walked the mall after one of the Weight Watchers meetings and into a little jewelry shop. I don't normally shop, but this shop was a bit bohemian, gypsy so it appealed to me immediately. It was then I saw this jewelry set of owls. There were a variety of styles and designs. The shop girl told me that the designer was one they order from on a regular basis. I left the shop setting a goal of weight loss for myself and when I reached it, I would return for a purchase. I did.

I lived in the same home for thirty-five years. When I moved just over a year ago, I had lost one of the earrings. I was rather hurt because of the symbolism they meant for me. I knew it was somewhere around or in the washer, but it wasn't found. Since the move and the "washer", I have gotten a new washer. One day, Garrett came into my bedroom and handed me something. It was the earring I had lost. I asked him where he found it...he replied the earring was inside the new washer. It couldn't have been in the clothing, I wore a different size, different clothes...

God is like that. When we get comfortable in the plans we make for ourselves, He pulls something from the group of ideals to make us remember that He is God and we have to put Him and His plans first. When I prayed, "God, I will do anything," He began to put His goals and objectives in motion. He put the pieces back together using newness that I was unaware of and undefinable reasoning. Setting goals to reach is important with rewards to make us strive to get there, but remembering to question the boundaries to see if they plumb-line with God's Word or not will keep us focused on His plan instead of our own. 


What is your weight loss goal? Set the small fragment of the big picture!
Reward yourself when you hit the milestone with a non-food item!
Never reward accomplishments with food or meals...
instead do a family activity like ice skating, disc golf or something fun...
Rethinking our way of celebrating will change the way we live!

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment