Tuesday, July 18, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Tips for Shopping and Losing Weight...

#RitaHutchesonCobbs Dress before, size 32...

I love taking personality tests! They aren't done as often now, but when I worked in suit world, I loved going to conferences where they had us take them. I am all about the prize. This is why I am invited to parties, showers, the next great gadget my friends are selling. I am always the monkey or whatever ever animal represents the shoot-gun car rider, cheering everyone on as we travel, following the leader who is going to the fun places at our destination. I have ADHD and look at all the positive side of everything. I drive people crazy because I am always happy and bouncy. But...I like to know that when I set a goal, I will win something at the end. I have found on this particular journey, most people are that way too. They just hide it well. I, however, have no secrets, obviously...

Setting goals for whatever you are seeking to achieve is better accomplished when there are rewards at end, but even more tangible if there are small goodies along the way. As I lost weight, I set goals of five-pounds. I didn't have too many rewards at the point, but when I got to twenty-five, I set a reward. At that time, I was big into art journaling. There was a marker set I really wanted. They were a few dollars per marker, so I would buy one marker for each milestone. Then when I got to one-hundred pounds, the rewards were of significant value to me. I would buy a new garment usually.

I know purchasing a new dress or a blouse sounds silly to some, but I don't shop and don't like to shop. As I lost weight, I went to the thrift stores and purchase my "transition" clothes to get to the next size. I didn't buy anything new or on clearance, didn't pay more than $1.50 maybe on any one item. I had no plans to wear them very long. So, buying something new was a treat.

I remember my first coat. I need to show that photo. I always wore a wrap. I couldn't find a coat large enough fit me. I had gone to a store on University Drive in Huntsville to buy something because it was Reward Day. I saw the coats and tried one on. I stood in front of the mirror and started crying. I could button the coat. I boat it. The next time I had someone take my photo in a jacket was when I needed one for a trip and I went to a department store. I tried on a size ten and it was too big, so I got an eight...It was an awesome moment and I had someone take my picture.

The key to weight loss success is making the decision to do it. Then stick to it regardless of what the circumstance or situation is in your life. There are no excuses to this because I am living proof of that. Then set non-food rewards for accomplishments no matter what your celebrations or success are, weight, work, school, or holidays. We have gotten crazed with rewarding those around us with ice cream trips, gas station stops and other places for a treat because we have done well in something. It is out of control. We have made the wrong decisions and our health is testimony to that. 

It's a simple decision with no excuses. 

Now, challenge...
make a chart, set simplistic goals and 
decide the rewards now. Let's get moving! 

REMEMBER: Set NONE Food Rewards!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment