Sunday, July 30, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Portion Control...Food? Well, that too...


Portions. Not something we want to talk about. We want to go to the restaurant that gives us the biggest bang for the buck or buy one get one free. Then we go to the human food troughs and eat until we need a wheelbarrow to roll us from the barn. It wasn't until I bought a food scale, measuring cups, ladles with measurements, and began reading labels that I had a rude awakening. I had no idea that I, me, this southern gal who loved to cook, bake and prepare three huge home cooked meals every day with desserts for my family, was in trouble. I repented of many things regarding food, like giving my children soda, sugar, just to name two. I have photographs of meals I use to make... seriously!

It would be easy for me to tell you how many cookies or almonds would be a serving. Then it would be easier for me to tell you that maybe a serving each of apple, orange, banana, yogurt, tomatoes, egg, popcorn might be equal to their nutritional value...or is it. The point it, when you start measuring and weighing, then you find out that you aren't getting enough of the good food, but too much of the bad foods. Portions and balance can make both, healthy choices. Did you hear that right? Yes, you did. Scripture even says that moderation...portions.

A few cookies made of flour, sugar and fat won't sustain your appetite like a food that is delicious in flavor and full of protein will. Everything about your changes when you start realizing that portions being watched and honored, brings your waistline to a healthy place, your skin brighter, endurance longer, oxygen to the brain, soul happier and healthier heart. Then there is this realization I wanted to save...measure a glass of wine or beer. Then count the calories. A lot of people think a full glass of wine is a serving, but it is not. There are a lot of calories even in light beer as well as a serving of wine.

Learn to read labels and the ingredients of food and beverages. I have to know every term for gluten and nuts due to allergies. I won't buy ice cream for special occasions unless I can read and pronounce every ingredient on the label. Frozen strawberries? I went to purchase some because I had ran out of those in my freezer. The first bag I picked up at the store had as the first ingredient, sugar. Seriously! Take your time, read, and be in the know. It can make this much difference....


What difference can portions and reading labels make??
Over 300lbs! Just saying...

At some point in your life you have to realize that you hold the scales in your hands. You have the power of not only portion control on foods, weighing each food and beverage, but you have to weight other areas of your life. If you carry anger, resentment, hurt, bitterness of life-experience in your life and blaming this healthy situation on something that happened. At some point you have to face it, forgive it, and let it go. Love does that. Hope moves you forward. You have to find a way to not only take care of your food addiction, but you have to find a way to take care of your emotional addiction. You can continue to feed emotions because then you feed your soul and body with food. This may not be you, but fear is the source of all sin, problems, habits and hangups. From there other things grows. Settle it, deal with it and delete it...move forward. My life has forever changed because in the past three-years, I have learned these very things. You can do it too. The three-hundred pounds of body weight was nothing compared to the weight of burden lifted from my shoulders when I forgave and moved to loving and praying for those who had hurt me. Just do it...deal with it...delete it...let it go! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment