Saturday, July 29, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Can I eat out while losing weight? Plus when you have no support...


It has gotten so much easier to focus on losing weight, maintain goal weight and to get fit at the same time. However, there are so many plans to lose weight and you have to do your homework. It is the same for eating out. Restaurants have put their menus online with all the ingredients as well as the nutritional values of the foods in the meal, including portions, calories, fats, carbs, etc. So, when a friend says they are going to a particular place to eat, you can excuse yourself to the bathroom, call me as one friend did lol, look up the place and decide what you can eat.

I can always find something even at the ice cream shop to enjoy, even if it means water with lemon! It's the company you are going to enjoy. That is what we as a society have forgotten. We feed everything instead of thinking through our choices. In our family, we have moved from food celebrations and rewards to activities. Less things to dust and less inches on our thighs. Just saying...

One item on many menus that I was surprised to find is oatmeal. I had no idea the number of restaurants, especially that services breakfast at some point in the day, has oatmeal with many variations on their menu. I went to one restaurant that had nothing on their menu I wanted but oatmeal. Did you know that oatmeal can be made without oats? Check and see... This is oatmeal made without oatmeal...I won't tell you anything more...


Eating out menus are available online and through apps. If not, then give them a call. Then if nothing more, focus on lean meats, fish, broiled or grilled chicken, with no seasoning, oil or butter, make sure you ask for those things. Then get steamed vegetables with no seasoning. If you get a salad ask for fat-free dressing or lemon juice. Have water with lemon to drink. You can add fresh fruit from the salad bar to your water, like pineapple, strawberries, blueberries for example. Don't be intimidated by doing this. It has become very popular to do all these things that some restaurants in parts of the world are doing all these things already. I have water bottles with tiny filters (baskets) to hold the fresh fruit! You can be a trend setter.

No support or someone that says, "Oh, one bite won't hurt you!" or "Once won't hurt you," well, at my age, I can't afford to do either or consider a cheating moment. I workout to get the treats I won't, but I usually have iced coffee instead. I do enjoy cake or ice cream but I workout big time for those things and know when they are coming my way. I make a huge southern style breakfast for Christmas, I prepare my body and mind for that dinner. You can plan as well.

I have been where there is no support. I have lived the life that was so dysfunctional that I had to have every meal planned, grocery list exact, every penny accounted for. I don't live that way now. I have basic ingredients on hand, staple items, so that if I plan for certain meals on Monday and Tuesday nights, but decide to have something different, it is a total good situation in our home. If someone calls and asks us to meet for dinner or lunch, then I am flexible to make that happen with our meal plan. I still workout, have our activities of sports and know that we will be alright. The point is, live happy, not stressed out while focusing on losing weight or getting fit. Make it a lifestyle. Lose weight slowly so that it does become a "weigh" of life. 

I have lived every situation this life could bring. People have come to me and given excuses for not losing weight, lack of support, fear of wrinkles, finances to life-experiences... There are no excuses to live healthy. I am living proof of that. Eating out doesn't have to be another excuse. It can be fun! Know that even when you are moving to living healthy, you are living an example. It may be a day to years before others take note and begin supporting you or decided to change their lives as well. Regardless, you may be on your own. It is your responsibility to move forward. It is you that has to make your life changes and you have to make the decision. It is not someone else responsibility to make you happy or even encourage you to achieve this or any goal. You will have to decide to inspire yourself. Make index cards, inspiration board, go to weight loss groups or supports if needed, go to the gym to be with like minded people...you have to find what is best for you. It may require finding a new group of friends and, sorry to say, you may have to find new family. This is an overall healthy way of living. God may not expect you to leave what you know, but change what you knew. It is time to recreate our plate in every area of our lives. Let's do this! 

1 comments:

krcmasterpiece said...

I've read the last 2 entries and love them!! Thanks so much for sharing. You are very encouraging and have lots of great ideas and advice. I've fought the fight my whole life and haven't succeeded yet! But I never give up. You are an inspiration. Thanks

Post a Comment