Monday, July 3, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Corn Salad Recipe...with a Ranch Flavor

Corn Salad with some hint of ranch and certainly some crunch!

I have been training to teach a class at the gym. I am pretty excited about it, but the lead instructor is a veteran at a very young age! She is beyond fabulous, teaching comes so easy for her that everyone wants to be trained by her. I love her to pieces. Well, last week, she was leading in a segment, when she was "stirring a pot" asking the participants what they were making today in prep for the fourth of July. Then she said she was making Corn Salad and proceeded with the recipe. Guess what happened? My mouth watered all day and I am not a huge fan of corn! So, I had to modify it a bit because I find it a fun challenge to take a recipe calling for certain ingredients and change them plus I couldn't remember everything she said. So, Robin, I apologize now if I totally messed this one up, but it was pretty good!

Corn Salad Recipe 
with a zip of Ranch and Crunch

4 cans of kernel corn, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
4 cups of grated fat-free cheese (more if desired)
1 container of fat-free sour cream (16 oz)
1 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 small yellow onion finely chopped
1/2 cup celery finely chopped (more if desired, my family is iffy on the celery)
1 cup of bell pepper finely chopped
4 cups of crushed corn chips (I used regular but flavored would be great)

Mix all together and serve! My son, Garrett, pulled out corn tortillas and enjoyed himself. As Robin said, this will be a great go-to recipe for those times you need something in a hurry. Most of the items are pantry things you have on hand on a regular basis. The calories can be easily worked for by coming to class or walking around the neighborhood or taking half the dish to a neighbor a couple of blocks away as a "thinking of you" gesture. Enjoy and let me know how your friends like it!

Challenge: Try substituting a high calorie condiment 
for a lower calorie one,
 for example, ketchup for mustard...
mayo for fat-free salad dressing...
sour cream, butter for the fat-free or spray choices. 

Hugs, Rita


0 comments:

Post a Comment