Tuesday, January 10, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

My first experience using our George Foreman Grill {now don't pass out}! Plus some recipes!!

Just a heads up before I begin my adventure in cooking supper on the George Foreman Grill, I cooked the chicken breasts in the Crock Pot using my favorite recipe of butter and lemon-pepper seasoning. Drained it well before chopping it up for the stir-fry. I had red, yellow, and green peppers already sliced and ready in the fridge from grocery day and then added sliced onion to a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Sauteed them until little transparent, tossed in the chicken and Lawry's Lemon Pepper Marinade and continue cooking until the peppers and onions are tender. Now for the grilling experience and some Kale Chips... 

I sliced some fresh veggies, including zucchini, yellow squash, red tomatoes (Roma's would have done better, sliced length wise), onion, beets (only had canned, but they did great), egg plant, and large portobella mushrooms.

 I soaked the squash in lemon and salt water for a bit while I cut up the other items so they wouldn't turn dark. The egg plant was on bottom as well. I haven't ever had a problem with squash turning dark but thought I would stick them in there anyway. =)

So the grilling begins...We have two of these grills and I must admit in the years, we have had them, I have never used either of them. The boys have used them for grilling sandwiches and after seeing our friend Penny McClean grill fresh veggies at her sister Rachel's house Monday, I was craving these babies. It was just too cold to go outside to the big momma gas grill... 

So, we grill...and we grill...

...and grill...the sampling is delicious...
wish you had some btw...

...and we grill...
did I mention I started at 3 pm...

For the zucchini and yellow squash, I brushed on a mixture of olive oil, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. For the beets, I sprinkled fresh ground pepper only. I love beets, don't you? They are amazing cold or heated. I love them on salads or eaten alone. They are good with cottage cheese or crumbled blue cheese too! Now I know you are hungry LOL...

Because I was getting into the third hour of cooking, I popped most of the egg plant into the oven which I had dropped into a ziplock bag with fat-free Italian dressing and then placed on a cookie sheet and backed at 400 degrees until brown and cooked tender. I did place these along with the mushrooms on the grill. They were delicious as well. For the mushrooms, I brushed olive oil, sprinkled Worcestershire sauce on both sides, salt and pepper. We love the mushrooms as burgers or eaten as a steak. 

The plate of grilled veggies...
I do love my George Foreman Grill
BUT we are already considering a larger one for
our family of 6!! The ones we have just won't do...lol

Now this is a treat! I hope Penny won't mind me sharing her recipe. Our family LOVED this...Kale Chips! Cut out the stem, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place in the over and bake at 350 degrees and who-la! you have veggie chips! They are so good...I put a little too much olive oil on mine so I will know better next time...we loved them...

We topped off the meal with dessert...fresh cut pineapple! Yes, we are taking 12 in 2012 seriously...we are eating healthy so that is the reason for the fresh veggies. So for dessert we had fresh pineapple which went great with the stir-fry...we discovered fresh pineapple over the holidays and have no plans to buy anything other than from here on...yummy and good for us...

So when things get hot and steamy and you don't know what to do for dinner...consider getting a George Foreman Grill! Our family gives it a thumbs up! Although it took almost four hours for me to cook our meal, a meal for six people, I might add...it was well worth the results. At least we know now that we need a much larger GFGrill and fortunately, they make them. So until I have a working kitchen that is functional to feed all us, I will be looking into getting a George Foreman mega grill to use...won't beat my Crock Pots but it will be happy surrounded by those lovely sluttin' sisters pimping the food right along with them...loving it...

Hugs and happy healthy eating, Rita 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the curly kale. I learnt the recipe in Canada, great to pass on ideas. Penny

Post a Comment