Wednesday, January 11, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

My 2012 Smash Junk Journal...Rockin' Awesome if I say so myself =)

Although I had been wanting to create a smash book or junk journal for some time, I really didn't want to create my own 2012 journal. However, I didn't get into a swap in time to share in the fun of getting on as I did last year. To say I loved the one I got last year is a major understatement!! I soooo loved it lol...Here is a glimpse of what is looks like NOW...lol...

This is the side view where it was once spiral bound. I had to cut that off around September of last year and add the plastic zip ties from the hardware store lol...very long ones I might add! I have carried it everywhere!!

This is the side view...I have answered all the prompts I was given and then I created various pockets inside as you can see on blog posts and added fiber swatches/photos and so much more fun things...totally fun! So now we began a new with the 2012 Smash Junk Journal I created for myself. I had been keeping pieces of paper and fibers along with cards and so forth to use in this project throughout the past year. So I pulled them together this week. I can't wait to start using it. Now, I warn you...this is a long blog with lots of photos of the book so get a cup of coffee or a hot cup of tea and we will visit for a little while =).

I used fibers and embellishments that I had been hoarding
for a while...

This card was originally a door knocker
that we made in a class with my friend Lori...
I loved the sentiment and wanted to use it...
and of course..."and then..." we open the journal...

The covers are chipboard pieces. I added a slipcovered
tag from Close to My heart to house my business card should
the journal slip from my hands =). Then I added a card, that I 
turned into a pocket for a tag. I loved what was on the 
outside to remind me of my dreams...the reason for this book...

I added one of my fun tags I made...

I love this post card which reminds me that God
brought me here and will take me on this continued journey...

I made several sections in the book, each has
3 pocket pages
(made from folded 12x12 sheets of paper)
approx 3 patterned papers
approx 6 card stock pages
then mish mash cards, paper pieces, & tags

I only worked within the first section of the journal to show what I might do with some of the pages. I want to make things for each pocket and each page as I add things to the book. I don't want to plan ahead too much so that I can be open to creativity and opportunity. However, I wanted you to see a few things I had in mind. The folded 12x12 pages creates a pocket on the outside on the back and front of the page. Then there is one on the inside as well. The tag pulls out of the top. I can also store fun things inside. 

I covered the tags with papers I 
enjoyed working with in 2011...

I added a journaling spot randomly to the book...
a great place to add a photo to the back and journal here...
maybe...=)

...opps...a brighter view lol...

...more tags...

...don't you love the chocolate chip paper!!

I added a ziplock baggy I had on hand...one never knows
what I might store inside...Then I used a swatch of 
paper and adhered it where the label was...

Another pocket page. Some of the papers weren't
double sided so I added some of the mish mash pieces
to cover up the white spaces...

I found a clear card, punched holes a long the edge,
stitched it up with my favorite twine and thought I might
display something special inside at some point...

I love the rounded corners on this piece...
haven't used my corner rounder in a while so it 
was a good thing, right?!

Another pocket page...

This is a smaller page that I inserted...

I had saved this embossed piece and added it to my
book...I love using the embossing envelopes...

...one of the patterned pages that I love...

A packaging card I will redo at some point...

Love Love Love this paper!!!

Love this sheet too...
Hobby Lobby had some sewing/crafting paper that
I would love to own someday...

Another embossed slip I found in my stash...

Check out the backside of that embossed page...
Plus I had to add the home piece...love that collection too.
I also used some of my favorite punches...have you 
spotted my other one yet?! =)

More papers...

I loved using this packaging tag in the holiday mini
I made...I had to add it to the book...

More papers with great texture...

Patterned papers and cardstock working together...

More packaging that will be repurposed...

Love Love Love this paper! It's velvety... 

I can't create anything without a birdcage LOL...
This is an acetate page... 

More textured paper mixed in with cardstock...

A better view of each...

Another textured piece I had to add along with
a creative way of doing so...

More pocket pages...some to follow...

Just love this idea...

I haven't decided how to use the page on the right, 
but I wanted to use the portion of the page on the
bottom so...I will make the reverse pocket work...
creatively of course lol...

More paper slips hidden inside...
I so love it...

Ribbons and more ribbons...

The charm was from a swap
over on the{scrap}beach.ning.com...

Yet, another pocket page...

This will have to for my mother, 
she loves loves loves butterflies...

Double sided paper works better but if you don't have it
you can make the single sided work too...

Love the combo here...esp "Queen" popping out there...

More beautiful papers...I feel like fabric in a quilt.
I can tell you where each piece comes from and 
what I made with them...

I love this ABC creative paper and I think it was 
from Close to My Heart but I'm not sure...

More pocket pages...

The one on the right is a pocket page also, 
however, I folded it a bit differently to create a lip on 
the pocket.

More fun pockets...

I so love the mish mash of papers...

The back, again, is a piece of chipboard.

I covered all of it with papers that I 
felt were durable to last my rough housing them...

This is the thickness now...lol we shall see at the end of the year...
I am so ready to use it too!
However, I need some prompts, got any you would like to add to my book!?!
I would LOVE for you to be a part of this so send me your journal prompts...

Hugs and thank you, Rita

For a video slide show...

4 comments:

Lori Ü said...

Hi Rita - I love your journals - and I saw the door knocker you used, thats sweet :)

Rebecca said...

This is just lovely! You are so creative!

Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs said...

YES! I loved that whole thing and placed it in my box to use on this...=)

Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs said...

Thank you! And thank you again for the beautiful ornament and the grill! OMGOSH! I love it...

Post a Comment