Thursday, January 12, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Dyeing Shipping Tags...using Beet Juice! You read that right...Beet Juice...=)

While I was waiting on the George Foreman Grill to do it's thing the other night...I decided to experiment with the beet juice I had drained from the beets I was grilling. It is a perfect shade of deep red. For those of you that may not know, beets are a wonderful vegetable that are delicious hot or cold, as a side dish or on a salad. So, I dipped the tags in the beet juice, let them soak for about 15 seconds, laid them on paper towels to dry and...

This is how they looked once they dried. I was very pleased with the results. My son and I decided we might try tie-dyeing next...wonder if beet juice would work on that!?! I didn't pour the juice down my new white utility sink that's for sure lol...pink sink? Maybe in the studio but not anywhere else in this house dominated by men...I made a couple of things using some of the tags, here are some clips of one of them...

I created a vintage tag with some
contemporary recycled elements too...

I like the blushing smile of my lady...

The recycled element are some pieces
our electric company left on the ground
around our meter when they moved it for
the new addition. I kept the pieces...

Bits and pieces of fibers...
The original twine from the shipping tag
was dyed with the tag in the beet juice...
I added the charm which was from a
broken bracelet...

The flowers are from a little shop
on etsy that I got a very long time ago...
don't know which one I am sorry to say...
I dyed them with Glimmer Mist...

More of the flowers...
then I added pieces of bling from a 
larger sheet I had...

I layered the fibers...I placed a pink velvet strip under
the wider lace (don't you love it!) and then I layered
three pieces of ribbon topping it with a button...
The twine is my favorite to use in any project I do...

I love things vintage, never thought I 
would go from steam punk to shabby chic...
I still have a heart for metal though...

, Here is one used in my 2012 Smash Junk Journal...
I want to remember this creative way of beginning the new year...

Happy Creating, 
Hugs, Rita

1 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea Rita! I shall have to try this when we grow the next lot of beetroot! TFS
hugs Alyson x

Post a Comment