Wow!! The Black Bean Portabella Mushroom Reuben Sandwich with Sauce is lip smacking rockin' awesome! We used fresh bread, cut thick, and it was wonderful! The flavors melt in your mouth. Even with all the grilled foods you are about to see...everyone in our family ate this rather than the chicken and most of the veggies! Even Garrett!! However, there were plenty to use in various ways for other meals. So let's get started on the photographs and then this great recipe and the inspiration behind it...
The NEW George Foreman Grill is the perfect size!!
Thank you again, Rebecca!! I was able to cook our complete
meal in shorter time and it "roasted" with flavor...
Chicken with lemon pepper and cilantro.
Veggies in salt, pepper, olive oil, parsley and garlic.
The portabella mushrooms sizzling on the left...
Zucchini, yellow squash, Roma tomatoes, asparagus...
The black bean burgers cooking up along with egg plant...
Awesome goodness...added some onions to the grill too...
Let me share the recipe first for the black bean burgers
and then for this amazing sauce...
Jerry's original sauce for this amazing sandwich...
The burgers were inspired by a recipe that we saw in a column called CookSmart
weekend (Jan13-15, 2012 page 12). Some of the ingredients the recipe called for we didn't have or didn't care for so we changed it to what we had on hand as well as the flavors our family loves. It turned out perfect. They didn't add the onions nor the mushrooms, well nor the sauce, which was such a shame since they were so fantastic!! Then again, that is what inspired us to create this... USA
Black Bean Portabella Mushroom Reuben Sandwich
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 can refried beans, fat free
1 cup dry Italian bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 slices of thick homemade bread or large hamburger buns
¼ cup real butter, melted
6 slices of cheddar cheese
2 cups sauerkraut, shredded, drained well
Onion slices, grilled or sauteed
6 large portabella mushrooms
1. Mix beans, bread crumbs, eggs, pepper, and garlic in a bowl.
2. Divide into 6 equal parts; using plastic wrap, flatten each into patties.
3. Place the burgers and portabella mushrooms on a gas or indoor grill and cook for 5-6 minutes, until done and portabellas are tender. Sprinkle some Worcestershire on the mushrooms if you want, it is delicious.
4. Brush bread with butter, sprinkle some minced garlic on the bread for added flavor and toast them in the oven on 350 degrees.
5. Layer the sandwich: 1 slice of bread or bun, sauce (see below), burger, mushroom, kraut, onion and cheese then the bread or bun.
All-Purpose Good Tasting Super Sauce
½ cup mayo
¼ cup horseradish sauce
¼ cup ketchup
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
Whisk together until blended. Serve with anything from French fries to ice cream.
Enjoy and I so need new shelving for my cooking toys lol...