Thursday, January 24, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Rita's Version of Paula Deen's Black-eyed pea salad with tomatoes and peppers...

 I have fallen in love with cooking! I had no idea it could be so much fun! Plus aren't you loving that it is almost the end of January and I am still holding true to my February 2nd promise...to not take down my Christmas decorations until then!!! Thus the holiday table cloth ((sing, sing voice lol))...So, my sweet friend and Madison's mom, Dee Walker, brought me this magazine, "Woman's Day, Slim-down with Paula Deen", and showed me several recipes that she thought I would love to make for my family. This recipe was one of them. I tweaked it just a bit and will include my version below.

It is fantastic! I think regardless if you made it warm or cold, it would still be wonderful for a picnic, a church fellowship, a family gathering, PLUS it is a healthy choice and filled with body soothing properties. Let's get cooking...

Rita's Version of Paula Deen's
Black-eyed pea salad
with tomatoes and peppers
(cold or warm...both recipes are here!!!) 

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar
salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 15.5oz cans black-eyed peas, rinced
2 15.5oz cans tomatoes, diced in garlic, spices, drained, not rinced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, coating tomatoes and peas well. Set in refrigerator to chill for  1 hour and serve. Wonderful!!

You can also serve this warm...

Using the Tupperware StackCooker, put 1/2 cup water in the small casserole dish and spray the steamer well with cooking spray. Add the onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper to the steamer, cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until they are tender. Remove and pour into the large casserole dish. Add remaining ingredients and place back into the microwave for 3 minutes. The dish is fantastic...

Enjoy...
Hugs, Rita

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful idea. Life often sends up curves that are difficult enough to handle on our own, but when one of the basics of life, food, is taken care of at these difficult times it is a God send.

regards,
ronan of Renton Auto Repair

Post a Comment