Sunday, January 27, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Handmade Rocker Cushion Pillowcases for Madison's Favorite Rocker...

 When Madison comes to my house, she has a favorite rocker she likes to sit in to watch the series of Bill Gaither DVDs that is sure to follow after she arrives. If you haven't met Madison in my blogs or followed my posts on Facebook, you have missed the pleasure of our having a girl at our house after having all these boys in our life. I was in a conversation with her mother one day, just over a year ago, and Madison's sitter had quit to pursue other callings in her amazing life and Madison needed somewhere to go after school. Well, I was like, "Let her come over to our house, we won't notice one more. lol" So, she has fit in very nicely. It is no surprise that this is her favorite chair.  When Madison's mom, Dee, asked to use the rocker at Madison's 16th birthday party, she also wanted me to make cushions for it...here is the quick job I did...

 As you can see in the first photograph, I made simple sleeves like pillowcases. I didn't use a pattern, I simply measured the chair and the cushions and cut. I serged the seems and hemmed the top adding the ribbons. Here is the top back...

 The cushions fit perfectly together. I was pleased at the fit. The coverings are washable too. That will work well for Madison since she enjoys her snack time relaxing in this chair too. =)

Ties for the back of both cushions...wait till you see the inside...

Simple but elegant...
May add some bling to the back cushion or embroiderer her name...

 Now, for the twist to the cushions. I didn't have access to a protective padding, so took a trash bag and served the bottom cushion inside the trash bag.

The plastic zipped right through...
If the bag tears, I can replace it, but the foam cushion is protected...

Serged...sealed...protected...

Perfect for what I needed...
I will use this again and again for elder caregiving and all my caregiving... 

 Then I inserted it into the pillowcase covering number one that I made complete with ribbon ties. 

I also, protected the ends of the ribbons with fray-check to keep the ends from unraveling.

Then I inserted pillowcase number one with ribbons to the closed end
into pillowcase number two, tied the ribbons of that pillowcase to the rocker...
Done!!! Sweet...all made in just a single morning. 
I loved this quick and easy project. 

Even a few tiny pieces for the birds to make their nests...
My favorite part at the end of any project is to scatter these in my yard...

Happy Sweet 16th Birthday to Madison...
We love you...
Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment