Saturday, January 26, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Rita's Lemon-Pepper Salmon Fish Tacos...

Salmon and tacos!!! OMGosh!!! I have never tried fish tacos but after hearing so conversations about them at the coffee shop and on my favorite foodie television shows, I had to try some. However, I didn't want to go out to eat them, not knowing what exactly might be in them. So, I decided to make them at home.

 I had all the ingredients on hand that most online recipes called for, but the fish I wanted to use regardless of any other recommendations I found, was salmon. I had fillets already in the freezer for those times Jerry was out of town and I could make them for Garrett, who loves grilled salmon.

The results was out of this world! The flavor just erupted a celebration party in my mouth that brought so many flavors together. Then when I added the fish to the corn tortilla and the sauteed spinach...wow! Delicious. So, here is my take on this thing called, the Fish Taco...

2 lbs of salmon filets, slightly frozen works great for cubing
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parslay
2 teaspoon of fresh chopped rosemary (more or less depending on if you like this herb)
sea salt

Spray an iron skillet generously with cooking spray. Brown the salmon lightly in the iron skillet on medium high but don't crown the salmon. I allow the salmon to remain a bit pink because that's the way I like it, however, you can fix fish the way you best enjoy it. I wanted a bit of brown to compliment my corn tortilla. That was why I used the higher temp so that it would brown quickly, but not so much so that it would keep me from having the pinkish color on the inside...I tried a couple of pieces before cooking the whole batch.

After the salmon is finished, wash the skillet and reseason it with the cooking spray and place back on the medium high heat. Brown the pure corn tortillas on both sides, taking about 1 minute each side. Fold over and rest them on a plate lined with paper towel. You will need to prepare 8 corn tortillas.

Layer the Sauteed Spinach (recipe from yesterday's blog post), lettuce for crunch, sour cream, salmon, cheese and black olives...wow...Totally enjoy...btw, these are also gluten free!

I also made a side skillet of 2 lbs of ground turkey and 1 lb lean ground beef taco meat that I made in the microwave for the family members who don't eat fish. I also served my version of Paula Deen's black-eyed peas with tomatoes and peppers which is also available in my blog recipes. My family LOVED this combo...next, I will try tuna and soooo want to get the equipment to make my very own TORTILLAS!!! I will totally take photos of doing that step by step lol...Bet I get messy...

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment