Tuesday, January 22, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Gluten-Free Blueberry Apple Skillet Pancake with Recipe

 It has become an obsession with me! I wake up thinking about it. I go to bed planning it. I make my list standing looking at it. I thumb through books about it. I surf the internet about it. I have even turned on the television to watch programs about it AND that is a huge deal for me to have time to do! FOOD! I have fallen in love with cooking! I love making healthy fun foods for my family, like this wonderful skillet meal made in my wonderful iron skillet with my home grown blueberries while adding gluten-free waffle mix and fresh apples and other wonderful ingredients. I know, I know, I know what went into this fabulous skillet AND part of it went in the freezer for a few days later...

My teaser photo for Facebook, "Wonder what these will make for breakfast?"

Then I kept right on posting, even on twitter lol...

The whole dish was amazing and didn't even stick...

Baked evenly, light and fluffy...

Added maple syrup and blueberries to the top...yummmm!
Now for the recipe...

Gluten-Free Blueberry Apple Skillet Pancake

1 16oz box of Hodgson Mill Pancake & Waffle Mix, Gluten-Free
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (I use homemade)
4 Gala Apples, diced finely
2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed, drained
5 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an iron skillet generously with cooking spray and place it in the oven to warm as you prepare the pancake. Prepare the pancake mix as directed on the box, **BUT instead of adding oil, replace it with melted real butter. If you use a packed mix that doesn't call for butter, add 2 tablespoons of melted real butter to the batter. Mix in the vanilla, brown sugar (reserving 2 tablespoon to sprinkle on the top), and cinnamon. Fold in the apples (reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle on the top) and blueberries (hold back a few if someone wants them to top their served portion). Then pour into the iron skillet. Mix reserve applies and brown sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top of the mixture. Bake for 1 hour (60 minutes) until a sharp knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with maple syrup, which I sit in a pan of water warming on the stove on low while the pancake bakes. Yummy... Then have some blueberries to top the pancakes as they go on the plate if you like. Lovely. One of my son's likes whip topping as well. There are so much fun to make as individual pancakes too. Rockin' Awesome Recipe...Enjoy.

Hugs, Rita
*Markets in my area that have the mix from this recipe are WalMart, Publix, Foodland...

0 comments:

Post a Comment