Thursday, January 17, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

My Take on Giada's Almond Blueberry Cookies (minus the Almonds lol)

 I was cleaning the other day, I know, I see your eyes rolling, and had the Cooking Channel on as well as the Food Network, scrolling between the two, when Giada De Laurentiis of Everyday Italian came on the Cooking Channel Wednesday making a picnic for her husband, Todd, at work. One of the things she made was Almond Blueberry Cookies. I was in awe at how simple the recipe was. So, I looked up the recipe online and thought, "I bet I could make this recipe nut free and gluten free!" Sure enough...I did!!! ((Happy Dance))...

So, you can find the original recipe on the Cooking Channel, since the screen on my Nook is way to small to see in the photograph. Then I will include my version of this sweet recipe below. I was thrilled to find a way to use the delicious blueberries from our "miracle bush" and know that this won't be the last time I make these fabulous cookies. A friend stopped by this evening and when she tasted one said, "These taste gourmet!" Wow! I thought the burst of blueberries exploding in my mouth was like a party happening...sweet! So let's get baking...

Rita's Giada 
Gluten/Nut-Free
Blueberry Cookies

2 cups White Rice Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Splenda's brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 fat-free milk
1 teaspoon real vanilla flavoring
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained

Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg, beat well. Add milk, flavoring, blend well. Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in blueberries. Chill the dough for 30 minutes in refrigerator. Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Place cookie dough on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper by teaspoon fulls and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Cool cookies and store in an airtight container. Yummmmy.

Now for an update on the Birthday Celebration for the Fiber Giving Project, we have 19 skeins donated!! Excited about that...Who will help me celebrate my birthday?

Enjoy...hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment