Friday, May 24, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Gluten-Free Bean Ragout with Cilantro-Cornmeal Dumplings and Recipe

For Mother's Day this year, Madison, my sweet BFF, gave me this wonderful cookbook...
Each week I make out 2 weeks worth of menus of supper, ending with Payday Friday Pizza Night!

This is one of the recipes I made from this cookbook,
but with a few changes...

Someday, I hope to have my spices in pretty organized containers;
maybe something vintage...

Loving the fresh peppers...
I chopped some yellow with the red the recipe called for...

The "thank you for coming bowl" is always handy...

Please don't stand on you head for this photo lol...
I also added some baby arugula to the recipe...

Let's get started with the recipe.
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 

3 cloves of garlic, minced finely
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 cubes (cut in half and then in half again, diced)
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
1 large portebello mushroom, diced

Place in a dutch oven on medium if you have a stove or 
high if you have a 2-eye burner lol.

Add 1 can 29 ounce'ish can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can 15 ounce'ish black beans, rinsed and drained
8 fresh radishes, sliced thinely
Set these aside.

These were pulled fresh from my father-in-law's garden!
Have you ever cooked with radishes!? They are so good... 

Stir all the vegetables well, cooking until tender.

Open two 15 ounce'ish cans of diced tomatoes, seasoned if you wish.

The flavors are fantastic...

Pour them in a bowl and set aside...

Stir vegetables...
Add salt and pepper to taste...
It's ok to taste them too!!! Yummmm  

Add the beans and radishes...
Stir, mixing well but gently...

Cover and cook for 3 minutes...Then add tomatoes.
Cook for 5 minutes...

Time to make the dumplings...you will need...
1 cup Gluten Free White Rice Flour
1 cup gluten free cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (important for binding in baking gluten free)
1/2 cup fat free Kraft cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 cup fat free milk 

Mix all ingredients well with a mixer or by hand until the batter is creamy.

Drop by the spoon fulls on top of the bean ragout.

The Bean Ragout is bubbling around the dumplings...
It smells amazing...

Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until a toothpick 
inserted into the dumplings comes out clean.

I baked the rest of the dough and it was cute and great for the freezer...
Cheese corn muffins...

Ready to serve...
one dumpling and a bowl of wonderful goodness... 

My family obviously loved it!!!
They even said so and had more than one serving...
With this recipe, it was ok that they did even without the dumpling
because it was loaded with vegetables, healthy and good for you...
I love finding recipes that I can change around to fit our healthy living lifestyle. 
I never liked cooking until I took this on as a challenge...
take any recipe and see if I can make it rockin' awesome healthy!!!

Hugs, 
Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment