Sunday, March 24, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Scrap the Plate Clean Eggplant Spinach and Kale Lasagna with Recipe

 Having vegetables or fruit laying around that needs to be used before they go bad bothers me. Does it you? Rarely does this happen in my house, so when something screams at me, I pay attention. So there sat this eggplant, begging for some attention. Fortunately, I had some good ingredients that I knew the eggplant would love spending some delicious time with, mating and befriending before they were loved even more by my family =).

First, I peeled the eggplant to make it easier to chew it better that way.
Then I dipped it in eggs I beat with a bit of goat's milk and real vanilla.
Then I placed them in a bowl of mixed shredded and crumbled cheeses.
I placed them in a glass baking dish sprayed with cooking spray
and baked them at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, until tender.
While they baked, I made the topping.

I sprayed an iron skillet with cooking spray and added the following to saute until slightly brown.
1 medium onion, diced
1 gala apple, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped
fresh ground pepper

Then I added 1 pound of salad tomatoes, cut in half.
I cooked this mixture until the tomatoes were soft and the mixture was moist.
I then added a large bag of fresh spinach and 2 cups of fresh kale on top
placed the lid over the skillet and allowed the greens to soften.
When the sauce was complete and the eggplant was finished baking,
I pour the mixture over the eggplant and sprinkle it with cheese.
Returning the dish to the oven, I baked it for 5 minutes.

 Served it hot...and my family...

Obviously loved it...
Sweet...

Hugs and happy cooking!
 Rita


0 comments:

Post a Comment