Saturday, March 2, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Rockin' Awesome Yummy Southern Black-eyed Pea Salad with Tomatoes and Peppers Recipe...

 You are tired of hearing me say it! I know it! I have fallen in love with cooking! I am a foodie! For real! It has happened. I won't know how to act when the real kitchen is built and I won't be using the toaster oven, the microwave and the two-eye burner anymore. =P I don't even have a dishwasher...just a utility room sink lol. BUT I am not whining...I am happy, cooking and smiling, looking for healthier ways to make the recipes I find which include the ingredients that my family love to eat...while pulling in some tid-bits of goodness that will benefit them.

 I found the original recipe in a Woman's Day magazine, the February 2013 issue, that my BFF Madison's mom, Dee, gave me. She pointed this recipe out to me and well, I had to give it a try. However, I had to alter it a bit. So, here is my version of the recipe...

Rockin' Awesome Yummy Southern 
Black-eyed Pea Salad
 with Tomatoes and Peppers Recipe

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar
Kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
2 15.5-ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed
2 15.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped finely
1 gala apple, chopped finely
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

Spray iron skillet with cooking spray.
Place on medium heat.
When skillet is hot, add all dry ingredients except brown sugar,
until onions and garlic is lightly brown.
Add peas and cook for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, brown sugar and cook all the ingredients for 5 minutes.
Serve warm or cold, delicious...
and Gluten-Free...

Happy Healthy Cooking,
Hugs, Rita


1 comments:

Unknown said...

This salad is great with bbq and smoked foods and just gets better the longer it marinades.

regards,
jennifer of Sandy Bridge Xeon

Post a Comment