Tuesday, March 15, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Hamburger Pie Recipe served up with Mashed Potatoes...

Hamburger Pie topped with Black Bean Salsa and served with Mashed Potatoes

1 lb super lean ground beef (I get mine from Schwans in 2 lb packages)
1/2 cupped diced onion
2 tablespoons flour (I used self-rising since that is all I had on hand)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup of kernel corn (I used Schwans frozen corn)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon brown sugar
6 slices of sandwich bread
2 tablespoon butter, real butter please, softened
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup salsa (I used purchased black bean salsa)
pepper

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. Combine beef, onion, garlic into skillet, cook until hamburger is crumbly and onions are transparent.
3. Drain the meat mixture (I then rinse my meat under hot water to get rid of any left over grease but the great part of using Schwans is that there is virtually no fat).
4. Place meat mixture back into the skillet. Add the flour and chili powder. Cook, stir for 1 minute.
5. Stir in tomatoes and corn. Bring to a simmer breaking up tomatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes.
6. Stir in salt and brown sugar until well mixed.
7.  Pour mixture into a baking dish and pour the salsa on top of the mixture and set aside.
8.  Cut the bread slices into 1/4 pieces. Spread each piece with the butter.
9.  Place the bread pieces over the top of the salsa with the buttered side facing up.
10. Bake for 30 minutes. Then cover with cheese and serve.

I added mashed potatoes which I added some mayo too...it was delicious. This recipe was taken from the Joy of Cooking cookbook but changed here and there. I have favorite ingredients and garlic is one of them. I also added the salsa and shredded cheese to the dish. We loved it...quick and easy and could be made ahead of time for the next day. I am so loving cooking with real butter...and you know what...the cholesterol is looking really good as a result...ummmm

Then for dessert I served 2 pies, one chocolate and one vanilla, which were fat free...ummmm....

Love, Blessings, & {{{Hugs}}},
RHC

0 comments:

Post a Comment