Wednesday, February 27, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Cooking Spinach is a New Experience...

Cooking spinach was something I was totally afraid of until I began experimenting with this...other green vegetable. First, I tore it up in salads and that wasn't so bad. I was giving my family extra vitamins in a sneaky way. Then I sauteed some onions, mushrooms in a skillet and wondered about throwing in a chopped apple and some garlic. WOW! The flavor popped.

On top, I packed fresh spinach and in minutes it was this beautiful green lightly sauteed green mixture that was a such a sweet delight to my mouth when I tasted it. A party...a celebration! I was a happy healthy camper! Now, I don't think twice about sauteing some up in the microwave or on the stove for my favorite pasta dishes or my not so favorite other dishes to give them a boast as well as slip something in on my family that is not only healthy but filling them up more so than just starch. That sounded bad but hopefully you get what I am trying to say...let's try again...where I use to add two boxes of 16 oz of regular pasta, I now use one 8 or even 16 oz gluten free pasta (since I am allergic to the other) and load it up with vegetables like spinach, onion, garlic, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, and more sauteed, steamed, and roasted. Everyone that eats at our table is getting a balance of wonderful, delicious food. Now, here is how I do the spinach...

Simply spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat the skillet on medium heat until hot. Then add 1 large onion, peeled and diced. Add two gala apples, cored, peeled and diced. Add one clove of garlic, peeled and minced. Saute all of this until onions are browned slightly and tender. Add 1 teaspoon each of chopped parsley and cilantro. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and salt. Finally place fresh spinach on top of the mixture and cover with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally  until the spinach is tender. Serve hot.

Any that is leftover can be used later to add to pasta or layered with spaghetti squash to make a lasagna. Regardless how you eat it, I promise that the apple gives it a wonderful new flavor. Try adding a bit of cinnamon for a popping new flavor!

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment