Friday, October 14, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Fabric Crochet Rugs with a Pattern...

I love love love to crochet! It is such a fun thing to do and you can take it anywhere!! Crochet is such a mindless hobby for me and ((before you say WHAT??)) I don't mean to belittle it at all but I have been doing it so long that it comes so easy for me. This rug I made using a stiff fabric that was a little harder to manage but it gave me the beautiful pattern I wanted. It was the same color on both sides of the fabric thus the darkness throughout. I made this in about two hours.

This rug was crochet using 100% cotton. I then washed it and got the raveled look I wanted. I want to make more of this type of varied sizes for our new home since we are decorating in the Shabby Chic using the earth tones. I made one similar to this years ago, entered in the Morgan County Fair, the area where we live, and one first place. I was so proud of my work. So now it is your turn. Here is the pattern I used to make this rug.  As you crochet, make your rug any size you wish by continuing to work the stitches until you are happy with the size you have. Happy Crocheting...
The fabric strips need to be 1/2" wide and use a size K crochet hook. I don't sew my strips together, I simply weave them in as I do my yarn when I am crocheting with it. However, if you wish to sew your ends together you can. Then press the seams open. 
Starting chain: Chain 22.
Rnd 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in back loop only of next 20 ch; 3 sc in last ch, turn sideways and continue along other side of the foundation ch, sc in remaining loop of ea of next 20 ch, 2 sc in first ch of this rnd, sl st to first sc. Turn.
Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same place as sl st, 2 sc in ea of next 2 sc, sc in ea of next 20 sc, 2 sc in ea of next 3 sc, sc in ea of next 20 sc, join with a sl st to first ch. Turn.
Rnd 3: Ch 1, 1 sc in same place as sl st, sc in ea of next 21 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc) 3 times, sc in ea of next 20 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc) twice, join with sl st to first ch. Turn.
Rnd 4: Ch 1, 1 sc in same place as sl st, sc in ea of next 2 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc) twice, sc in ea of next 20 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc) 3 times, 1 sc in ea of next 20 sc, join with sl st to first ch. Turn.
Rnd 5: Ch 1, 1 sc in same place as sl st, sc in ea of next 21 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc) 3 times, sc in ea of next 21 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc) twice, join with sl st to first ch. Turn.
Rnd 6: Ch 1, 1 sc in same place as sl st, sc in ea of next 4 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc) twice, sc in ea of next 20 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc) 3 times, 1 sc in ea of next 19 sc, join with sl st to first ch. Turn.
Rnd 7: Ch 1, 1 sc in same place as sl st, sc in ea of next 22 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc) 3 times, sc in ea of next 21 sc, (2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc) twice, join with sl st to first ch. Turn.
Remaining Rounds: Continue in this manner, increasing 3 stitches around the curve on each round by placing one more stitch between each increase on each additional round, 6 increases total per round. Finish off by slip stitching, pull through and cut the fabric, weave the loose end into your rug. 
Hugs wrapped in Crocheting =), Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment