Wednesday, July 27, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Rachael/Rita's Beefy Tex-Mex Stir-Fry/Taco Salad

This week, we are cooking Rachael Ray recipes at our house, revisiting some magazines from her summer 2008 collection. This recipe, "Beefy Tex-Mex Stir-Fry", came from the insert for Thursday in the August 2008 issue. I added my own twist to it plus some extra seasonings, creating more of a taco salad, and I thought it whipped up very nicely. Also, I have some big guys at my house that needed a little more added to the meal, so I popped sweet potatoes in the oven this morning and baked them all day, umy, and some turnip greens on to simmer while I made this delicious dish...It is filling and very good...so here's what's for supper tonight...(btw, that's is Garrett's plate...he had to take the picture lol...he is an artist of creating the perfect plate.)...

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I omitted; used cooking spray instead)
1 poblano chile, seeded and finely chopped (I omitted, our family doesn't eat spicy)
1 onion, chopped (I keep 2 large onions chopped in the fridge/prepped for times like this)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (I also added 1 teaspoon each cilantro, parsley; 1 tablespoon garlic)
1 pound ground beef (I used 2 lbs lean ground beef)
1 tomato, finely chopped (I used 3 Roma tomatoes)
2 cups crushed tortilla chips (I used a large bag, 32 oz I think lol)
salt and pepper
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

Instructions:
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the poblano, onion and chili powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat until the meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato and tortilla chips and season with salt and pepper. (I did this differently...In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute the onions until tender. Add the meat and cook through. Drain the meat and rinse thoroughly with hot water, getting rid of the grease. Then return to the skillet, add the chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper, tomatoes, 1 cup of the chips, and cook for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into a baking dish, top with cheese and top cheese with chips.)
2. Divide the meat mixture among 4 plates and top with the cheese. (I added the mixture to the plates and topped with fat-free sour cream. Umy!!!

I love these recipes and especially making them a little more healthy. I use olive oil rather than any other oil and butter instead of margarine...I love the flavor and hope that all I have read is true that they are better for my family. I LOVE to cook and someday think I will cook live on my ustream channel, once the kitchen is rebuilt...umy...maybe even cook for you!!! =) Wouldn't that be rockin' awesome!!!!

Love, Blessings, & {{{Hugs}}},
Rita
www.RitaHutchesonCobbs.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment