Friday, July 8, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

It's all in a name "Papaw Hutty" scrapbook layout...

 
"papaw hutty" scrapbooking layout
from "The Heritage Cookbook Photo Album" Scrapbook
by Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs


My grandfather Thomas Jefferson Hutcheson was a pretty quiet man. I always made sure I listened if he ever said anything because I knew it was going to be important or at least I hoped it would be. =) He was a farmer but I only remember him having pigs but my dad talked about him having cattle too and raising various types of vegetables and corn. He and my uncle Johnny Holcomb had a small country store that sold gasoline too. I loved that store because living in Decatur, Alabama Monday through Friday and coming to the family farm my parents owned on the weekends was a treat for me. I got to visit the store and get candies and cokes that I couldn't get in the city. Papaw carried Mr. Pib and the soft peppermint sticks in gallon jugs right by the cash register. It was ok to put peanuts in my Mr. Pib, something that my city friends frowned on. I never had to worry when I was on the farm about such or when I was around my cousins.

One time though, I did get into an embarrassing moment but for me, I never knew I was embarrassed lol...I just let such as that roll off my shoulder just like hurt feelings or if someone was making fun of me...I never knew they were if they did it...I walked to my own drummer much like our son Ethan...God made me the way I am and I just walk by faith, happy and "go lucky" as my daddy called it. However, I am off the subject...

I grew up at 1202 6th SW, Decatur on Monday through Friday so that my dad could work at Thompson Caterpillar.  Our neighbors, the Bozeman's had a beauty shop in their home. Mrs. Bozeman was from somewhere near Phil Campbell where the Hutcheson's were from and where Papaw Hutty's store was located, which by the way was right next door to his house. I think she was from Red Bay but that is neither here nor there. One day, I went over just to sit in her shop and listen to the ladies chat, which wasn't unusual for me to do. I often played or hung out with her daughter, Vicky. On this day, Mrs. Bozeman asked me, "Rita, are you related to a Jeff Hutcheson?" I thought about this for a minute and finally replied, "No, I don't think so." I went about the afternoon and finally went home and asked my mother when I thought about it to which she replied rather shocked and appalled, "Why, Rita, that is your grandfather!!" I was stunned...how was I suppose to know, I had never ever heard him called anything other than "Papaw Hutty!" So, image the laughter when I went back over to the shop and told them the findings of my inquiry...lol, rather funny...

I was proud of my grandparents. Papaw Hutty never held my hand that I remember. He never taught me anything new that I remember. He never read me a story that I remember. He never gave me deep words of advice that I remember. He never drove me anywhere that I remember. But one time after I sung at church, he put his hand on my shoulder and said, "You sing just like your mamaw, she would have loved to hear you sing," and he put his fedora hat on and walked out of the church, shaking hands as he went. I just watched him as he went. My dad teared up as we watched him go. I will always remember that moment.

He had a neat truck though...like my grandfather Newell, I wonder what happen to it...wish I had both of those trucks today and my dad's white pick up, wouldn't that rock lol...I need to get photos of all of them...

Love, Blessings, & {{{Hugs}}},
Rita
www.RitaHutchesonCobbs.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment