Tuesday, December 7, 2010 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Community...

Recycle, Reuse, Recreate ~ Now they are closed and now...

...they are open...recycle, reuse, recreate...
Made with scrapbooking paper, adhesive & this Starbucks coffee envelope template.

Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris) reverb10

OMGosh, the word for today is community!! I tweeted earlier this morning that I seriously doubt that there is enough room in cyberspace to hold all the praise I have for not only the community where I live, worship, shop and love to stay-cation these days much less what the online community has meant to me in 2010!!! I say it again, OMGosh...WOW...Awesome...Thanksgiving...Praise... I will do my best to keep this short and sweet like the recycled coffee envelope above...

I have discovered so much during the past year and just a few months beyond that has opened up a world of friendships, connections, spirituality and love that I never ever dreamed possible. 

First, within my own community, after the terminal illness of my father and our son's brain surgery, our family was able to worship once again together in church. Two years, people, that we were not able to worship together!! The first Sunday we attended we went because, one, our family and friends were there so it was familiar! We were tired and weary physically, emotionally and spiritually for the long year of illness that bound our family to our own home. We were so ready to have fellowship with people, actual people, who served and loved God as much if not more than I did. Plus, they were friends, family, neighbors who had walked the road of the past several years with us! Who wouldn't feel good about that. Although we fully miss our former church family, we know they are there and praying for us. 

Second, while my father was ill and we were going through nine months of observations and testing that led to Joel's brain surgery, we discovered live worship online of a local church and our home church had live services via television, podcast and on their website each week. Although it wasn't the same as being with people, it was a blessing to be a part of an online community when we weren't able to physically attend church. (I will stop harping about the faith element in a moment...well, probably not LOL so just keep walking with me please). 

Then as I mentioned yesterday, I discovered the online art community! OMGosh, OMGosh they are friends, no they are more than that, they are family! Through them I have "come a long way baby" in my creativity, my spirit, my love and my passion for the art I create. I get it...I understand what another artist is trying to say through their work. As a caregiver still for our son Garrett, art is my respite and spending time online wither I am streaming live with a show or supporting another artist, I am connected to like minded people who love art regardless of the medium they decide to work with. I have friends all over the world because of the internet. (Why do you think at Thanksgiving, I can sum up my blessings in one word??) The online community via tweeter, ustream, stickam, Facebook, YouTube, etc etc are tools to bring people together to share, learn and belong. It doesn't matter what you wear, if you have makeup on or if you are experienced artist or a newby, the community will encourage and lift you as you grow and develop your own work as they help you see your unique signature in what you are working with.

Thus the faith has come full circle, for by the faith that lives within me, makes me the artist I am today and will grow me into the artist I will become. In 2011, I want to create a community of artists with one stop streaming, one stop gallery, one stop chat, one stop awareness just for artists regardless of mediums the artist might work with. It has begun, now it is time to finish it...

Loving my community and I wish you...
Love, Blessings, and {{{Hugs}}},
RHC
www.RitaHutchesonCobbs.com

3 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Oh, I love your energy and like you I LOVE COMMUNITY! :-)

I am grateful I found you through Reverb10 today.

Community - Reverb - You - Me

Dale Anne Potter said...

Rita - I am honoured & BLESSED to have you in my comunity!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Cindy Jones Lantier said...

Isn't the art world an awesome community? Hope to get to know you better through it in the upcoming year!

Post a Comment