Sunday, December 25, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Candle Lit Glass Block Decor Element...for a lack of better title =)

 Don't you absolutely love it!!! I attended a Craft and Conversation Ladies Night Out at First Baptist Church in Huntsville, Alabama a few months ago and one of the class choices was for this project. I didn't take this class but figured I could make this. So, I glanced over my shoulder ever so often to check them out! ;-) I thought it would be a GREAT idea for our Special Ministries Sunday School Class to make for their family member for a Christmas gift and guess what? It was!!!

I used one sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper for four blocks, a "pretend" candle that is battery operated (so my kind of candle, folks! A blog story for another day of me burning down the master bathroom...sigh...), a blingy decor piece, ribbon, Modge Podge, and adhesive is all that is needed. 

I used the double sided red tape to spot stick the ribbon onto the glass...

Then I tucked the tape inside the plastic spout. My husband, Jerry,
figured out that if we cut a hole in the center of the plastic spout, we
could glue the candle to the spout and it could be turned on/off without
being removed, thus, the ribbon stays in place...

The scrapbook paper was decoupaged in place and the kids
loved doing this part...

I used E6000 to add this piece...
so love that glue!!!

Beautiful!!
I did have to go several times during the weeks
prior to Hobby Lobby using my 40% coupon getting
one block at a time because they are very expensive to 
purchase...I didn't mind...they are indeed beautiful!! =)

The kids in our class made a couple of things to give their family members for Christmas and enjoyed it so much that we are going to make things throughout the year to have ready for a gallery show to go along with their art journaling. Art is such a wonderful way to express yourself and to give of yourself. We are enjoying this opportunity to share music and art as well as letting these beautiful people know that there is One that accepts them as they are and that there are things they can do and be appreciated for.

From our family to yours,
Wishing a treasured Merry Christmas,
Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment