Saturday, September 9, 2017 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Left-over BBQ Chicken and Cheesy Rice Casseroe

What can I say? I am a truly blessed momma! Two days a week, Garrett has my lunch ready for me so that we can leave for his Special Olympic activities. I may get a soy butter and dill pickle sandwich (lol actually happened once) to a turkey and cheese lettuce wrap. However, when I have been really blessed, I get something like this: a banana and supper warm chicken rice casserole from supper the night before! I love this boy to pieces! I get napkins, a real fork, and then a cup for my coffee! He is the Hallmark Movie wrapped up in a son.

Using left-overs is something I have done ever since I learned to cook. Taking vegetables to make soup, meat to create a chili, bananas to make desserts, even pineapple juice to use in cakes instead of water. There are lots of ways to use various things. Chicken can be used in so many ways, more so than probably hamburger. This past week, I had chicken left from making chicken salad for the football game so I thought of making a couple of casseroles for the freezer and one for supper. So, here is the BBQ chicken I combined with rice adding some cheese to make a creamy casserole that is great for a quick supper any night and for the freezer. If you make it for the freezer, as any casserole, bake 3/4 done and then cook the remaining time when you are ready to eat it. Make a salad during the cooking time and you will be ready for a great supper.

Left-over BBQ Chicken and
 Cheesy Rice Casserole

2 cups of prepared white rice
2 cups of prepared brown rice
1 large onion, chopped finely
5 cups of bbq chicken, cooked, chopped well or pulled
2 cans gluten-free cream of mushroom soup
1 container fat-free sour cream
1 package Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic
salt and peppr
4 cups of shredded cheese (fat-free Kraft melts) with 1/4 cup reserved
1 cup of gluten-free Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup of butter (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together all the ingredients, except 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
Pour into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Top with reserved shredded cheese. 
Thinly slice the butter and scatter across the top of the casserole (optional).
I also added about 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs sprinkled over the top.
Bake until golden brown. Serve hot.

This will be a great Thanksgiving and Christmas recipe to use left-overs with. I usually make a soup with some of the left-overs so, add the soup to this recipe and you will have a great Sunday after the holidays meal. 

#KitchenWithAHouseAttached

0 comments:

Post a Comment