Sunday, August 5, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

The Magic Blueberry Bush blessed us again...

 We have one and only one blueberry bush, although we did plant two initially, only one survived. Each year, it blesses us with an amazing amount of blueberries. I have many in the freezer and use them throughout the year in various ways. I have discovered wonderful sauces for pork chops, mixed them in desserts, added them to muffins and pancakes or yogurts and even left them in bowls throughout the harvest seasons in the kitchen and on the table for everyone to enjoy. This year, they were unusually sweet too.

 We didn't get just one harvest either...they were picked numerous times and they just kept producing. The bush is about 7' tall and 6' round. I have never pruned it and although I am thinking about it, I am not so sure I want to lol for fear I might kill this amazing production or something of sort. I know crazy...I planted a partner bush this year so we will see how things go...also, I had a helper putting up a few of the berries...=)...

 My girlfriend, Madison, helped me by pulling the bags out of the box and opening them. Then once I went to get more bags and returned, finding her putting a scoop full of berries into a bag. She was having such fun helping. She loved picking and even eating the berries too. =)

 We found our chickens enjoyed the berries as much as we did. So, we allowed a few of the fowl to hang around while we picked blueberries to get those that were on the ground. We shared a few of the overripe berries with the chicken coop and wow...every time we headed to the blueberry bush, they flocked to us waiting for a treat...it was so funny!

We got ten bags during this harvest prep time. However, I lost count as to how many we actually picked. Between the sharing, eating, enjoying, cooking with and actually putting up, who really knows. What was left in the top of the tree was there for the birds and the bees. Blueberries, beautiful and delicious, amazingly sweet this year too...Thank you, Father! Totally, Rockin' Awesome...

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment