Sunday, November 20, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Preparing and Baking a Whole Turkey PLUS my revised BBQ White Sauce Recipe...

{Photos are below too...} This is the least messiest way to bake a wonderful juicy turkey and to even do it ahead of time. I have never had a dry turkey, because my secret is...bake that baby upside down! Well, that isn't the real secret, the ingredients, the prep, the slow roast, the cooking, the...well, you will see...This year, I have made two since I found them at such a great price (thanks to my buddy, Suzanne), chopped up the meat, poured the homemade white BBQ sauce over the meat, popped it in the freezer for later. I will thaw the meat in the crockpot and we will have amazing meat after the Thanksgiving holidays. So, let's get started. I will warn you that I have some raw turkey photos in the prep portion of the turkey recipe so you can see how I got my turkey ready...

Items and Ingredients needed for preparing the turkey:
Whole Turkey
baking bag (for the weight of your turkey)
cheap foil roasting pan
1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter
1 whole onion, peeled
4 tablespoons olive oil


Rub Ingredients (Mix together and set aside)
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon savory
1 tablespoon oregano 
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

There is some prep work in getting the turkey ready for baking. First take the whole turkey from the packaging and place it in a clean sink. Remove anything inside the turkey cavity, like gravy packaging or plastic pieces holding the legs together, for example. Then wash the turkey inside and out with hot water. Spray the inside of the baking bag with cooking spray and place the turkey breast side up inside.

 Generously massage the rub mix into the turkey all over,
including between the breast meat and the skin. 
I had to cut the membrane between the skin and meat to 
get the rub inside but you will be glad you did for the flavor...

Place the stick of butter inside the cavity of the turkey.

Then place the whole onion inside the turkey cavity.

 This is what is will look like at this point...
pour the olive oil in the bottom of the bag.

The bag comes with a plastic tie closure...

Then flip the turkey over with the breast meat on the bottom...

...it will look like this...
Bake all night at 250 degrees and then shut the oven off.
Wait until the turkey has cooled down to debone. 

Now for the amazing homemade White BBQ Sauce similar to our famous Big Bob Gibson's but my friend Suzanne Mills suggested I add honey rather than their recipe which called for corn syrup. So, with a few more adaptions...here is my version of the White BBQ Sauce...

White BBQ Sauce ingredients:
1 quart mayonnaise
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 cup horseradish sauce
1 1/2 cups of raw honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Blend all these ingredients together until smooth. I then poured sauce over the chopped meat in each container I was putting in the freezer and added the remainder of the sauce to the empty mayonnaise jar, shook it up and relabeled the jar and put it in the fridge. My friends, Dee Walker, and her mom, Betty Cummings, shared the tip of chopping up the leftover turkey meat from Thanksgiving and pour white BBQ sauce over it for sandwiches and my thinking was, "Hay, why wait!"

If you have any questions, send me a message here or on Facebook. I may have left something out. I am going to bake another turkey this weekend because the price is too good to pass up! Our family loves turkey meat and it is so good for you. I will make a crockpot version of the turkey breast sometime soon and show you step by step on how to do that, it is perfectly easy as well. 

Happy holidays, Hugs, Rita




0 comments:

Post a Comment