Wednesday, January 20, 2010 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Trying to find my paper artist style...

I have been playing with various styles of paper, embellishments, and techniques in search of what my paper art style might be. I don't think it is romantic or even as "precious" as the card in the photo above illustrates. I like the vintage but find the darker colors less soothing or encouraging. Bright colors are interesting to work with but the apeal of contemporary is something I might enjoy as well. In the meantime, I will keep playing with medias until I find it. Working with beads, it is easy to define my style, but with quilting I go toward the Civil War patterns and fabric. With wood, I like the darker finish while with yarn, I would rather work with soft "for baby" fibers. In needlepoint, I love the country look, but in paints it is hot pink, chocolate brown, and black. So, what all of this reveals to me, is a mixed up media artist. =)

Sometimes it take experimenting to find our best. The harder we work, the more growth and defined we become. Maybe, just maybe, in all of this,  I will find the respite in paper arts that I am looking for. Therefore, I will press down harder, as the rain outside my window, to wash out the clutter and find what works best for me and what I will enjoy playing with.

Love and Blessings, 
Rita

1 comments:

Pigott Clan said...

I have a hard time figuring out my "style" too! I find with me it all depends on the subject matter, though I find myself leaning towards vintage more and more.... but with two little boys vintage scrapping isn't very practical!!!

Post a Comment