Monday, January 18, 2010 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Making cards, Crockpot BBQ Chicken & Quicky Cole Slaw Recipes...

I love the little people stamp collection from Stampin' Up! They are so much fun to use in many different projects. Cards are my specialty but I am learning to make mini-scrapbook albums. Just today, I picked up some wonderful scrapbooking items at Big Lots.  Imagine that? Big Lots has a whole section dedicated to scrapbooking items. I can't wait to video my haul, I believe YouTube videographers call it. (Love that big word!)

Paper arts and crafts are indeed fun. There are no limits, no rules, nothing coming between you and paper. You can use recycled items, make your own paper, or even create pages with magazine sheets and paint. The world is your canvas and paper is your media for getting there. I love to make my own paper but time limits my abilities at the moment (I am caregiver for my mother and son...not to mention the Alabama weather is very unfavorable this time of year for someone working outside).

When I am working, simple meals are also great. I can start something in the morning and have the table set by 6 pm each evening. It doesn't always work that way but eating at home saves us time, money and energy, plus it gives me a few more minutes in my studio. I will give you some simple recipes here so that you can try them at home...

CrockPot BBQ Chicken...

Take 6-8 (six-eight) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and place them in a CrockPot that has been sprayed with cooking spray (I like the ones made with olive oil). Then pour a 16 oz BBQ sauce over all the chicken. Put the lid on the CrockPot and allow to cook on low for 6 (six) hours. Ready to serve and really really good. This is a Rita original recipe too!!!

I love to read cookbooks but using them to make a meal isn't my favorite hobby to do. Now for the side dish...

Rita's Quick Coleslaw

1 super large head of green cabbage, chopped or shredded (do it yourself or buy the bagged kind)
1/2 a large onion, chopped (also you can buy this already done at the grocer)
2 carrots, shredded (again...well you know what you can do...I use the whole carrot minus the top/greens)
1 Tablespoon of freshly ground pepper (nothing better than fresh ground)
1 teaspoon of fresh ground salt (yes, indeed...I love the flavored salts too)
1 Tablespoon of celery seed (I buy this crushed at the Dutch Oven near Cullman Alabama)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar + 1 Tablespoon cold water
1 cup of mayo (I like the Kraft with Olive Oil...it is the best ever mayo)
2 Tablespoons of sugar (more or less, whatever to taste)

Mix the veggies together in a bowl by tossing them a few times. Then mix all the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl until well blended and then add to slaw. You may need a little extra mayo, salt or sugar...just dash some right on into the slaw. Serve chilled. (I may not like to cook but I can certainly through some things together that will make you wish I did!)

All you need to add to this meal is a bowl of sliced apples or a few pineapple rings. Done! This is a wonderful meal and cost is less than $15 to make....our family has 6 people in it and we have a plate left over for the next day...pretty good I would say.

Enjoy and have a great Paper Artsy Day!!!

Love and blessings,
Rita

1 comments:

Uniquely Ella said...

OMG, you can cook too, how great! I wish I could, I can bake.
xxxx

Post a Comment