Friday, July 13, 2018 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Exercise! What is stopping you?


Exercise is something I would rather have defined as putting the fork to my mouth, walking around the grocery store because I had to do it each week, going from my vehicle to the local coffee shop, but certainly not going to the gym or to the track and field to run! Me? Not ten-years-ago! Y'all, I weighed 450 pounds, I wasn't going to do any kind of exercise and the one time I tried, I felt so out of place, remembering thinking I was having an allergic reaction to something that my face was red as the Alabama football team's legendary crimson colors. Then I had a wake up call and started my journey of living healthy. Getting active was the next step to eating healthy.

 Running was the first choice that presented itself as an activity to get moving. I thought I was dying! With time and telling myself, I could do it, I progressed over the years from running a 5k to finishing two marathons. I am slowly working toward my first triathlon as I build my experience with the bike and swimming. This is my next goal.

 After running and reaching the initial race goals, I wanted to join a gym. Finding out that one locally was hiring, I could get paid to be there and go for free, I applied. I started at the bottom, learned all there was to know about how to use the equipment to management and today, I focus on leading fitness classes. When I joined the gym, I was a complete greenhorn, y'all. I didn't know anything about the equipment or how to use it. However, I became passionate about being there and working out. The people were there for a common goal and non-judgmental. I wasn't pretty doing classes, but nobody cared. The experience was the next step for me.

Two-years into my gym experience, I headed for training to lead the Silver Sneakers program. There I ran my first marathon, thus, reaching yet two more goals I had on my list. Today, I teach Silver Sneakers Classic and Yoga five days a week, two of which have multiple classes at one location. Tuesday nights, I volunteer, leading Special Olympic fitness.

My future in running, cycling and swimming is pure enjoyment and doing so because I love the race of my heart beat, the feel of my feet and arms moving, but the gym is something that is a bit different. Exercise creates that rise in heart rate and oxygen to the brain that the other elements of my activities do, but there is a mindset within the gym created by a group of people reaching different goals all to reach one. Fitness of body. Through fitness of body, we make our minds, souls and bodies together fit, then we meet other like minded people doing the same. Together we cultivate a community of believers that fitness not only makes us healthier, but builds relationships.

I love that through leading fitness classes, I am cultivating community, building relationships to live healthy each and every day physically, emotionally, spiritually and doing so together. What about where you are? What do you do for fitness in your area? Fitness classes? Walking? Running? Fork to Mouth lol? Y'all inspire me...

** Coming Soon! Salads....
Can't wait to share the new series!!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment