Tuesday, July 31, 2018 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

A Southern Sunday Supper unfolds...

 A typical Sunday for our family begins with worship, lunch at Target and then home. The evening depends on what our church hosts, but during the summer, we usually are home and that means I have the opportunity to cook a few things in the "kitchen with a house attached" to get us through the mid week hump that keeps us pretty busy with Special Olympic activities and fitness coaching. Today, I had a bit of fun making a large batch of bbq chicken, brown rice and vegetables, but not just anything typical about these as just another typical Sunday might bring...

 A neighbor had brought us some fresh okra, so I added the cornmeal, egg, black pepper but then popped in some Parmesan cheese along with fresh rosemary to the mix. Spraying the iron skillet with cooking spray, I brown the okra and fry it up. Delicious, golden brown and low fat.

 Of all the vegetables in the backyard, I had one, only one, green tomato! I made another egg and batch of cornmeal with cilantro, black pepper and a bit of tarragon then with cooking spray, fried that baby up to a golden brown. Low fat, something to add to a sandwich and top the brown rice I was making to go with the Sunday supper...

 I should have told you about the chicken breast first, but the brown rice is mouthwatering because it is actually made from the beer soaked mushrooms finely chopped, mixed with bbq sauce and cooked all day over the chicken breast in the iron kettle at 250 degrees in the over. Then I remove the chicken, add equal parts of liquid drippings from the chicken and brown rice with crushed pineapple and cook for thirty-minutes at 350 degrees or until the rice is tender. You may want to eat the rice all by itself.

Cooked in beer, the chicken is so tender you can cut it with a fork. It is easier for my family to handle and it is so delicious. I serve the chicken as is on top of the rice with a bit of cheese sometimes, but with the leftover chicken and a bit of rice, I will make a chicken pot pie on Wednesday. Sometimes, there is no chicken leftover so we will have vegetable potpie, because I also made green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and homemade biscuits to go with the supper.

A meal like this doesn't take an hour to prep and cook. The time sitting down together over a meal is worth ever how long it takes to eat. I love spending time with my family and listening to them talk about anything and everything. We look out the window by the dining room table, watching the wildlife that we see right in our own backyard. I love our life and the peace we share over such a simple meal. Food can be healthy in nutrition and in mind of soul.

Hugs, Rita

0 comments:

Post a Comment