Monday, August 9, 2010 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

my Girly Shabby Chic Steampunk Designs...

This weekend, I created two jewelry pieces for my Girly Shabby Chic Steampunk design collection, 10 O'Clock Chocolate. This cuff is made by recycling a paper towel roll as the base for adding the beading elements.  I brought in my favorite pieces of Tim Holtz clock pieces to accent both pieces. The necklace is crochet beading using copper wire.  The beads were from a local bead store, Bella Beads, that I bought some time ago. Steampunk appeals to me for the bright gold, copper as well as the clock elements used in creating the art. However, I needed to add some girly expression to these peices too...It's a Girl Thing!!! =)

As I was thinking about this particular design, I knew that I wanted it to be a cuff, but never making one before, I wasn't sure how to put it together. My son brought me a paper towel roll asking if I could use it. The design then took shape as I cut each peace and measured my wrist. I have large wrists and finding jewelry isn't easy. Then I had been working on some crochet flowers and realized that the copper wire would go perfect with the beads as well as adding the pendant pieces.

I didn't need to add closures to the cuff because it stayed in the shape I wanted. I did add some bead strings to each corner of the cuff to add a little sweetness to the design.  The closure for the crochet bead necklace is both silver and copper. 

These two pieces were so much fun to create and only took about 4 hours to do. I was pleased with that. I love dreaming about my creations regardless the mediums and pray as I go to sleep that God will give me sweet creative dreams so that my art is filled with love, blessings and peace knowing that hope is there for anyone who needs respite and rest.  I find that as I create my art.

Love, Blessings, & {{{Hugs}}},
RHC

5 comments:

Felicia said...

This is fabulous!! Great job on it!!

Pigott Clan said...

oh my these are wonderful!! I am super impressed, I could never come up with such gorgeous items!

Darcy Marshall said...

Stunning, I love the necklace, I love Steampunk in general, now it is getting mainstream it is everywhere, so much choice. I have a fabulous top hat with steampunk goggles on it that I wear for the Goth Festival.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are just out of this world! Is that teachable in a ustream class? Probably not as it looks like it would be taught in an advanced class.

Beautiful!

Zelda

Lillabell said...

Love your work Rita!

Post a Comment