Sauerbraten Meatballs and Gravy
~ From the kitchen of Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs...these are so delicious!!!
1/2 C fat-free milk
1/2 C dried bread crumbs
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 t sea salt
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
2 lbs of very lean beef ( I use Schwans ground beef)
3 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 C red wine vinegar with garlic
2 C beef broth
1/2 t ground ginger
2 bay leafs
2 T brown sugar
6 gingersnap cookies, crushed
1. In a med bowl, soak bread crumbs, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, salt, & pepper in milk.
2. Add beef & shape into meatballs, any size you like. =)
3. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in hot oil over medium heat.
4. While the meatballs are browning, put vinegar, beef broth, giner, bay leaves, gingersnap cookies & brown sugar in a bowl, mix well & set to the side.
5. Once browned, remove meatballs from skillet & drain on a layer of paper towels.
6. Add #4 to the skillet & bring to a rolling boil. When it can't be stirred down or becomes a thick gravy, return the temp to med-high and add the meatballs back to the gravy mixture.
7. Serve meatballs & gravy hot.
This is also very good over bowtie pasta...however, this dish is excellent alone. =)
Love and blessings,