I have used a couple of different recipes in the past for Butternut Squash Soup, but this has to be my favorite and preparing the squash has taken several attemps, but I have found the best way to cook it. My loves this wonderful soup served with crumbled turkey bacon that is grilled crisp for this dish.
Butternut Squash Soup
~ From the kitchen of Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs
3 T of real butter
1 med onion, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, shredded
3 med potatoes, finely shopped
3 butternut sqash, peeled, seeded, & prepared*
1 - 32 oz box of chicken broth (99% fat-free)
2 t sea salt
1 t freshly ground pepper
Garnish with grilled crumbled turkey bacon & fat-free sour cream (optional)
*1. To prepare the butternut sqash, wash the squash first, then cut each on in half. Scoup out the seeds (if the seed area isn't soft enough to spoon out, simply do so after baking, being careful not to get any of the squash meat.) Brush on olive oil all on the top of each butternut squash, place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Begin preparing the other ingredients.
2. In a 12 quart boiler, melt the butter.
3. Add onion, celery, carrots & potatoes to the melted butter.
4. Add chicken broth just enough to cover the vegetables & simmer.
5. Scrap the meat from each sqash & add to the vegetables.
6. Add the remaining chicken broth & stir all the ingredients well & bring to a boil.
7. Remove from heat & allow to cook slightly.
8. Spoon mixture into a blendar and process until creamy. (I have to do about a 1/3 of the soup at a time, but once it is creamy, I put it into a very large metal bowl until I have all of it done, then add it back to the 12 quart boiler).
9. Place the soup on med-high heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
10. Serve hot, garnish with bacon & sour cream.
Love, blessings, and enjoy,