Tuesday, April 2, 2013 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Gluten-free Sunflower Muffins Recipe with a Rockin' Awesome Pan Story

These are fabulous!! Delicious!! Gluten-free is just the bonus!

The only problem I discovered as I planned to make these muffins,
was the toaster oven in my makeshift kitchen...
all my muffin pans were too long...
so, I went next door to my neighbor to see if they had one I could borrow 
until I could get one,,,

Of course, we looked in the bottom drawer of their stove
and we found this lovely muffin pan...

I made quite a few of these sunflower muffins...
but not one made it to my in-laws house lol...
they were all ate...

The sunflowers made them crunchy and
since I am allergic to both gluten and nuts, 
this recipe is perfect...

The recipe made about 18 muffins...

Gluten-free Sunflower Muffins

2 1/2 cups gluten-free white rice flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2/3 cup Splenda brown sugar
1/2 cup sunflower seends
(I used oven roasted)
2 cups grated carrots
(I wash the carrots well, cut off the tops and grate the rest...)
1 orange, grated rind and juice
2 eggs, beaten well
2/3 cups fat free buttermilk
1/4 cup natural applesauce
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray generously.
In a large mixing bowl, blend flour, baking powder, spice together.
Stir in sugar, all but 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds, the carrots and orange rind.
Add juice, eggs, milk, applesauce, and vanilla, mixing well until the batter is creamy.
**Add more white rice flour if needed by the teaspoon slowly.
Spoon batter into the muffin pan.
Sprinkle each cup of batter with a few of the remaining sunflower seeds.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve warm or the next day...

Yummmm...
Hugs, Rita


0 comments:

Post a Comment