Wednesday, June 13, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Making my own rain barrel...

 About a month ago, I got an email from the Alabama Co-op Extension Program in Cullman, Alabama telling about several classes they were going to teach. I picked two right away that I wanted to take, first was the rain barrel class! I loved it...

 There were many participants in the class held at a rustic extension office from the main office downtown. This one is just off Hwy 157 in Cullman, right off the interstate. It felt like the perfect setting for such a class. The barrels are from Auburn and olives were stored inside. The smell was wonderful to me lol.

 The instructors made the process easy and gave us so much information answering the 5Ws/1H (who, what, when, where, why and how) which is exactly what I look for when I attend any class. We also learned how to make more of these as well as where to get them. Local restaurants as well as CraigsList.org.

 I loved the various rain barrels that were painted amazing abstract colors and displayed in yards. These photographs are difficult to see but hopefully you can get an idea of what some had done to their rain barrels in past classes. Amazing...

 More ideas...

 
 Then there was the chicken coop out front of the building that caught my attention. After class, I had to get a better look. Since we were waiting the arrival of our chickens, I wanted to see this in hopes of adding wheels to make a chicken tractor. I thought perfect especially when I saw something that was recycled, you know how much I love recycled items...Can you see it?

The pans from your last turkey dinner!!! =) I felt sorry for the chickens...their brothers, sisters, and friends may have been roasted in those pans...not a funny thought once you think about it, or is it. Interesting...Regardless, I lot of turkey dinners would have to happen at my house before I could create a roof out of these pans much to the delight of some of the men in my house LOL....

Happy Hugs, Rita

2 comments:

Sharon said...

The Alabama Co-op Extension Program had a great idea, introducing rain barrel making programs. That can help reduce water bills for owners and reduce the amount of storm water going into the public system, lessening the potential of flooding in the area. Good thing you joined the class! It would be even more effective if the local government applies a storm water management system to supplement the work of the residents.



Sharon Strock

Unknown said...

Good for you, Rita! It’s an advantage to know how to make your own rain barrels to save on money. Harvesting rainwater will cut down your demand of treated tap water, thus lowering your monthly bill. =)

- Tabatha Tidd

Post a Comment