Sunday, September 4, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

My new dressing table...

Can you believe I got this for only $5? Well, after looking at the photo I am sure you wondering "why" did I get this at all...well, I just had too...it spoke my name...

I lovingly sanded the whole piece down, getting rid of all the old chipping paint and the pure yuckiness...the drawers were in worse shape due to being in our carport for at least a year...I had a lot of cleaning to do...

I found gold paint under the white paint and was doing a happy dance! I removed all the hardware which was dull and dirty. I washed them in hot, soapy water and a brush. The runners for the drawers were broken and chipped. 

I used this amazing spray paint that the photographs show as a baby blue but it is more of a turquoise. This is Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze and it took two cans to cover the dressing table really well.  

The sad, but funny part, is when I purchased the table, I had to break the legs off one end to get it in my van. When I went to get the table, the legs for that one side were missing. I couldn't find them anywhere and we looked throughout the stash we have accumulated in restoring/building/remodeling our house. I can hear you now saying, "WHY BOTHER?"  Well, it just spoke to me so I had to keep going...

I took the cover off the mirrored storage area and painted both sides and took the drawers completely apart and painted the fronts knowing that I was going to need new drawers made for the table. 

Then last week, I found this cute tray in the Christmas decorations at a local thrift store for $1.91. I removed the plastic piece with the snowflakes and added...

A sheet of scrapbook paper and an acetate page made by Teresa Collins in her Welcome Home collection. Lovely!!! It note only protects the tray but will hold my lotions/perfumes perfectly...And now...the finished piece...

WOW!!! I hear you!! WOW!! Omgosh, Rockin' Awesome!! Then added a new flat panel for the legs that were missing (and wait till you see what I did with it!) and he also helped me make new drawers...

I decoupaged the wooden panel we added for the legs and it turned out fabulous. I cut out the flowers from some scrapbook paper I had, used the sweet vintage photos that I received in a swap, and my Stampin' Up punch for the leaf/vines. The music was from a RAK and fit perfectly right down the middle. I love this element and it is not only smooth but beautiful. I can add baskets to the side later if I wish...

I placed music pages from a hymnal inside the drawers and inside the mirrored storage space while adding yet another piece of acetate for protection.  

I also decoupaged the area behind the mirror, which you will see closer in a moment. 

At the other end, I roughed up the legs so they would look weathered and then decoupaged music, more vintage photos and some diecuts on the end piece. Magnificent! My son said it reminded him of the beach.

I used the two long handles that came with the dressing table and used Apple Barrel's Bubble Gum pink paint and fingered it into the grooves for good covered. Then when that dried, I rubbed Anita's Classic Gold craft paint on top, around the edges to make them pop. Love, Love, Love it!!! The gold peeled paint just added to this table's charm...

Then I added a pink nob that I found in my studio space...Perfect...The original was a bit worn and not attractive at all. I am pretty sure this table was meant for a teenage gal somewhere, but I think it is perfect for a middle aged gal too! =)

At least for this gal, it is totally perfect! The mirror was broken in one corner and since it was a perfect break, I used E6000 glue to put it back together. The little daisy shaped pieces holding it in place (along with the new screws), just made my day! I love daisies...but more so, I love the sweet faces of the vintage photos peaking around the edges of the mirror. Sweet...

I am so glad that I have found ways to not only save money but be creative while doing so. I look forward to doing more of this type of work or simply refinishing furniture. I love making something old and ready to be thrown away into something new, giving that new life and freshness. Loving it...

Hugs, Rita

1 comments:

Becky said...

Wow ....from someone's trash to your treasure! Beautiful!

Post a Comment