Friday, March 20, 2015 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

Momma Rita's Mustard Style Franks, Beans and Kraut Recipe!

What's for Supper? Well, that is what I often splash across twitter from time to time and add a photo like the this one above. It is almost nightly too! This recipe was inspired literally in the grocery store this very afternoon! I rarely, super rarely, get off my two-week calendar menu that I shocked myself! However, I was wanting "hotdogs!" Seriously?! Me!?

 As I was picking up the necessities I needed, I thought of the this recipe from probably twenty-five years ago that included hot dogs, bake beans and kraut. I thought through the process of how I could make it healthy, checked my budget, and set off to get the items I knew I did not have at home.

 The recipe is very simple:
1 package Gluten-Free low fat Hot Dogs, sliced 
(which came recommended by two guys working the meat counter 
because I don't buy hot dogs lol)
1 can of kraut, drained well
1 large can of Vegetarian Baked Beans, drained
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon brown sugar blend
1/2 teaspoon of the following:
cilantro, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, ground mustard
3 Tablespoons Honey Mustard

Saute onions in iron skillet on high until brown.
Add hot dogs and slightly brown them. 
Mix together kraut, brown sugar and spices.
Pour beans over the onions, hot dogs.
Spread the mustard evenly over the bake beans.
Spread the kraut mixture on top.
Bake at 450 degrees for 1 hour.


The meal is complete with Gluten-free Sweet Yellow Cornbread...
To make this a bit healthier, I use applesauce instead of oil!
You can do this in any dessert recipe as well. I never use oil in my baking.

 Open a small piece of cornbread and add 1 cup of the Franks, Beans and Kraut on top. Delicious! I was very pleased with the combination of spices and flavors. Much better than our usual Friday night leftovers lol.

Another Tid-Bit-Tip:  The key to weight loss and living healthy is portions. Trade your plates and bowls in for smaller ones. Go from 10" to 8" plates. Then look at your bowls, go smaller. Do things gradually for your family so you don't create stress for them...or maybe they won't even notice the change. A friend of mine even uses smaller silverware so that she takes smaller bites. Whatever works best for you.

Hugs! Rita
#MommaRita


1 comments:

krcmasterpiece said...

Huge fan of recipes like this!! This one sounds delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment