Sunday, April 15, 2012 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

The Bucket Garden...

 This is my second year to work the bucket garden. However, this year I expanded each bucket a little bit. In the bottom are the tomatoes and in the top I planted greens - Spinach, Turnips, Collards, Lettuce. We shall see if they come up and how they do...

 My bucket garden is very simple. I got 5 gallon buckets from Home-Depot for about $1 each last summer and then used a combo of top soil, manure, and fertilizer along with my plants. The buckets have wholes drilled in the bottom of them so the plants can fit into them either through the inside or from the bottom.

I empty the plant over the bucket to get as much of the original dirt into the bucket as possible. I don't know that this is necessary but I feel the plant is more at home if it has familiar surroundings =). Then I gently shack the dirt off the roots of the plant until I see which end will fit through the hole of the bucket easier. I don't concern myself with hurting the plants or how deep I bury the plant because neither hurts the process. I was blessed with this plant, I had 2 plants in 1 with this sweet tomato plant ((happy dance)). 

Just a fun view into the bucket from the plants point of view lol...
After I finish filling the bucket up with dirt to 1" below the edge, I spread 1 packet of seeds over the top and then cover with a very thin layer of dirt and gently cover the seeds with it. I let them all rest and water the following day. I will hang the bucket where it will get full sun. The plants may curl upward at first toward the sun but then it will start hanging down once the fruit begins to weight it down. The production is lovely and amazing...

Now the question of the day...
how is it more dirt gets in my shoes on my socks than in the buckets...
Curious...
Hugs, Rita


0 comments:

Post a Comment