Tuesday, March 29, 2011 | By: Rita Hutcheson-Cobbs

My only attempt at Cake Decorating & Sculpting!!

So...for a monumental 50th birthday,
I made a Star Wars themed birthday party on Saturday for a family member...
This was the R2D2 cake I made (my FIRST)...LOVING IT!!!!!
So, here we go...

First, I had to have a plan...I thought about this in my
sleep, PEOPLE! Can you image that? LOL...
Although I can make cakes from scratch, not happening
with this project...too many cakes needed...

8 1/4 cakes indeed and one patch!!!
I carved the top cake for the rounded portion of
R2D2's head...

Although, I have made tons of dessert cakes, 
I have never made a decorated cake in my life...
This cake took about 10 lbs of butter icing for this baby...

The guys were such a wonderful help...
while I sculpted the cake...they ate the trimmings...
It looked better on their thighs than mine LOL.

Photos out of order...but this is my sculpting the head... 

R2D2 is no longer naked...
Day one was spent baking the cakes.
Day two was spent decorating/sculpting...

Decorating begins...
I have never done this before but was pleased with
progress...everything went perfectly throughout...

Doc mixed the blue icing for me...
Added a junior mint for the eye...

He is almost finished...
I had to use an artist board because he was
almost 3 feet long...just a little more decorating...

...and we are done...
after several hours of conversation...
R2D2 is ready to go to the party...
Sweet Delivery R2D2 &
Happy Birthday!!!
 Thanks for a new adventure and
creative opportunity..

Garrett standing by the Star Wars themed
food table for the birthday party!!!
Whew wee...that's done...
but guess what???
Garrett wants one for HIS birthday in 
August...wow...so check back then
for my next cake creation...
I am NOT going into cake decorating...
Just saying...Hugs to all!!!!

Love, Blessings, and {{{Hugs}}},
Rita
PS: Key to any cakes/icing regardless of homemade/packaged is butter and real vanilla...

0 comments:

Post a Comment